Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch latch grinding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear hatch latch has been making increasingly painful sounding noises toward the end of the closing cycle. I now notice there are 'bite' marks in the fixed latch in the bottom of the trunk. I'll be calling for a service appointment but curious if anyone else has seen/heard this?

The rear hatch latch has been making increasingly painful sounding noises toward the end of the closing cycle. I now notice there are 'bite' marks in the fixed latch in the bottom of the trunk. I'll be calling for a service appointment but curious if anyone else has seen/heard this?

White "lithium" grease: Apply to both loops on hatch, sparingly. No one touches these, so no problem. Close hatch. See where latch catches loops, wipe off extra.

Saves service visit and gives you feeling that you can do this. And it's cheap.

I could be wrong, but grinding noises on the frunk can also be fixed by a little light grease. If I am wrong, and it doesn't fix anything, you haven't lost anything.

Thanks, but my SC is literally 5 minutes away, they have excellent wifi, snacks and a Keurig. So I'm stopping by tomorrow morning to let them handle the grease while I handle the granola bars. :)

I was more curious to see if this was a prevalent issue. I suspect it's just some minor adjustments to the hatch, but last night the latch motor really sounded like it was in pain. So best to let them once-over it I think.