Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Mobile Connector Outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Does anybody know if the mobile connector that comes with the Model S is designed to withstand long exposure to the outside environment? I lost my inside parking so now I have the car connector hanging outside of my garage all the time. It's kind of covered but not so much so that rain can't get to it. I know that the rain should not be an issue while it's plugged into the car charging, but what about it just hanging outside? BTW, it's plugged into an outlet inside the garage so that has no exposure to the elements (just the awful humidity in South Florida).

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks

Mine is. I've gone through a lot of them, however, current one has lasted 9 months so far. I have more so to believe the previous failures were due to charging at higher amperages. I used to charge at 40 amps, last year. That was more or less due to range anxiety, and wanted to pack those electrons in to make sure if the power went out I'd have enough. Now, on this latest one, I do not do that. The UMC's have always heated up quite hot when charging at 40 amps, and so I generally charge at a rate that will complete charge overnight, but not faster then needed, and only charge at 40 when needed. So far, that thinking has worked.