Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't "The Sunshine State" use solar for the Telsa charging stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Tesla decided to generate all the power in one place--to cluster the panels together in an ideal location. This makes much more sense than spreading panels all over the country. They can be easily maintained, can be placed in an ideal location for solar, require less grid-tie hardware, and can be protected from vandals.

They said that they'll eventually be generating the equivalent power used by the Superchargers, and that's certainly feasible...although I think their expense priorities are elsewhere right now--and rightly so.

So why no Solar panels?

TM's Diarmuid O'connell spoke at TMC Connect, making a comment that solar power generation can be done at other locations - I think he used the word "offset".

I took that as a good strategy: the offset is on the balance sheet (to take advantage of economy of scale - maintain all your panels in one place), it doesn't have to be in the actual location (costly to maintain panels across a large country).