Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New set of Goodyear Eagle 19" tires. Bad handling...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FredTMC

Model S VIN #4925
Dec 26, 2012
Orange County CA
Hi all,

i just had two new rear tires put on by tesla service. They are the standard tire that comes stock on the 19" wheels. Man, the handling is now Super bad. The car bounces around a lot in the rear and tends to roll and wooble a lot.

Anyone else have have this happen on new tires? It's worse than I remember when car was brand new

thanks

New tires still have mold release on them (so they're somewhat slippery), and the tread depth is deeper (more squirm). It's pretty normal. And those Goodyear tires bounce around a lot to begin with (at least mine did). Also be sure to check your pressures first thing in the morning to insure they're correct.

New tires still have mold release on them (so they're somewhat slippery), and the tread depth is deeper (more squirm). It's pretty normal. And those Goodyear tires bounce around a lot to begin with (at least mine did). Also be sure to check your pressures first thing in the morning to insure they're correct.

Beat me to the punch jerry33! You are right on the money with your diagnosis. My guess is that the tires are most likely "bouncing" as they are inflated to the Max PSI that is listed on the sidewall (51 PSI) instead of Tesla's recommended PSI. Combined with the release agents still lingering on the tire, the higher PSI has made things feel pretty strange to be sure. Once you've check the cold pressure, I'd recommend taking the car out for a nice cruise at highway speeds to get plenty of (sustained ) heat in the tires to burn off the remaining oils and other agents still on the tire. You'll still have a little tread squirm for a while, but it won't be as pronounced.

Hi all,

i just had two new rear tires put on by tesla service. They are the standard tire that comes stock on the 19" wheels. Man, the handling is now Super bad. The car bounces around a lot in the rear and tends to roll and wooble a lot.

Anyone else have have this happen on new tires? It's worse than I remember when car was brand new

thanks

You could try and go back and have them re-balance the new tires, maybe next time you get tires research it a bit and something better than those goodyears

Hi all,

thanks

How many miles did you get on the OEM tires you had replaced?

Goodyear sucks. Sorry. I've very happy when I replaced mine. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. It's like night and day. Seriously.

The Pilots I had on my last car (Cadillac CTS) were horrible. Goodyear Eagle GTs were a marked improvement.

Speaking of the Goodyear RS-A2s that come with the Tesla, mine seem to be getting really LOUD (at least I think it's the tires) Very loud rumble sound at anything above about 40 MPH. They have about 25,000 miles on them (approximate... I use separate winter tires) and have lots of tread left and are wearing perfectly evenly. I have had two sets of RS-A's on my other car and did not have any sort of "noise" problems with them. It's either that or the drive unit, but to me it sounds like what I imagine tires sound like from outside the car at highways speeds... only it's inside with the windows up.