Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Glare (on all 3 screens)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all...first post here.

I've done my due "search" diligence and haven't found anything specifically on-topic, so I figured I'd post the question up.

I have a 2011 2.5 Roadster on its way to me (being shipped from NY). I've done a couple of extended test drives in them (a 2010 and the 2011 I ultimately chose) and I seem to have the same problem with both.

The stereo/Nav screen, the little status screen at the bottom of the center console (VDS screen, I think), even the LCD screen under the speedometer that shows range and battery draw...they all seem to glare really badly when driving around on a sunny day.

Being 6'1" the speedometer is completely useless to me (I knew this going on, and I'm OK with it). However, I keep getting told that it's not big deal, because the speed can be displayed on the VDS. Which, while that may be true, if I can't read the VDS either because of sun glare...

Do others put anti-glare screen protectors on these screens or something? Is there some trick to make them more visible? Is there a contrast control for the LCD screen under the speedometer?

At one point during one of my test drives, I had a panic attack when I looked down and saw that the range left on the battery was 17 miles. Had to look, very closely, several times, and put my hand over one side of the screen to then be able to see that the range actually read "47" miles.

Cupping my hands over the screens, and staring at them from different angles is fine when I'm sitting in parking lot. It's not really a practical thing to do when doing 70 on the highway.

Am I missing something obvious here, or do fellow Roadster owners just all drive around blissfully ignorant of such pedestrian pieces of data like...how fast you're going?

Am I missing something obvious here, or do fellow Roadster owners just all drive around blissfully ignorant of such pedestrian pieces of data like...how fast you're going?

The speed of the Roadster can be discerned from the feel of the wind, or how much faster you appear to be going than everyone else.

In all seriousness, it is an issue. But look at it this way, when you stomp on the accelerator to feel the G-force as you will undoubtedly do repeatedly during your first few days/weeks/months of driving, do you really want to know that you have just hit triple digits, or would you rather remain "blissfully ignorant". Or put another way, would you have backed off if you knew it when you hit 90 mph?

Also, other than the lively bursts of acceleration which make the Roadster such a hoot to drive, the Roadster is a vehicle that is fun to drive at any speed. I find myself perfectly satisfied for some reason to be going 30 mph on a road posted for that, where in other cars 30 mph would feel like a crawl.

Finally, the size of the Roadster makes one painfully aware of absolutely every other vehicle around it so on busy high-speed roads, speed can be roughly judged. Figure that everyone else is going 8 mph over the speed limit. Therefore, if you are pulling away from the SUV behind or the 18 wheeler beside, which is good, you are probably going 10 mph over the speed limit :smile:

One reason I love my 1.5, the location of the VDS on the far left side is very much glare free. Have a simple Blaupunkt head unit, so that's not affected by glare. I drove a 2.0 and had the glare issues you're experiencing, it had the navigation. Again that LCD screen was washed out by the glare. I think you just have to live with it.

A couple of points (from a 6' 4 incher :) in a 2.5 EU RHD model )
1. Take off Sun shades from top of screen (rotate & pull)
2. Install OVMS .. which allows the almost useless digital 'amps' readout to show MPH .. in eyeline so useful (but still says amps .. fooled me for a bit .. durr :) )
3. The double din (alpine) stereo has a screen angle adjustment .. this may improve view (but means it needs to motor-up every time you start .. so after novelty wore off, I left it at zero) .
4. Buy a cheap 5.5" screen android Phone/tablet .. It fits over the stereo screen and has better resolution .. google maps etc. your music etc etc (connect via Bluetooth) .. I've not tried this yet but may test/play using bluetack initially.
5. On the navigation screen of the double din (alpine) stereo, when showing map .. press the middle / 2nd from bottom LHS icon group ... this switches the whole screen to a big speedo .. v easy to read !..
(Below is US version .. I think, the UK version is slightly different ) ...
agapa9e4.jpg

I almost never have a problem with glare. Reading the VDS speed is easy 95% of the time it seems, and when it's not, I tilt my head (if necessary) to see the speedometer. I don't know if it makes any difference but I have my hard top on most of the time.

I can never read the small LCD below the gauge cluster. That little thing is a fail as far as I'm concerned. Sure OVMS will display the speed there but I don't know how anybody can read it.

I don't believe anyone has yet mentioned that the radio head unit screen can tilt...

Button all the way to the left bottom of the frame of the unit. Press it and a screen describing "TILT" and "Insert CD" will come up.

Play with the tilt buttons until glare is minimized.