Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of 3rd qtr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picture everyone putting down tools and the scoring beginning

I am curious obviously qtr ends today but did it end yesterday in Japan or China or does it relate to companies home? Not that it matters much but am curious

Posters concerned whether we are at 1000 car rate yet but I suspect that is not as important as number of cars delivered. Of course related but tesla has always used demo cars as a buffer to tap at these times. If, cars do have new features of collision avoidance I would suspect they would want to replace the demos now. The production rate may not be announced for a while even potentially not till cc.

I do do believe that this qtr has the largest potential for upside. Expectation low, delivery times coming in earlier toward end of qtr. debate and stock price on pessimistic side.

This was the scene at the Vancouver Service Centre last Friday (26 Sep). Almost all of these cars were due to be delivered by today (30 Sep). Those good folks had a LONG weekend ahead of them. Let's hope they and their colleagues all around the continent and the world got it done!
VancouverService-26092014.jpg

This was the scene at the Vancouver Service Centre last Friday (26 Sep). Almost all of these cars were due to be delivered by today (30 Sep). Those good folks had a LONG weekend ahead of them. Let's hope they and their colleagues all around the continent and the world got it done!
View attachment 60392
At first glance, it looks like Canada only has three color options, black, white or red, you have to look for a moment before colors appear. One thing that's certain, there will be but a handful of Tesla's in Canada w/out a pano roof...

View attachment 60392

while I want them to deliver as many cars as possible to end the quarter with as high a delivery number as possible, part of me wonders why Elon doesn't just take the breaks off and let the cars get delivered at a normal pace instead of trying to squeeze as many as possible in the very end of the quarter. If he thinks the stock price is too high he could put the breaks on this practice so that a quarter seems off to and the stock wold probably have substantial drop.
Is it mixed signals? Or perhaps they just like to set quarterly goals for the company and it's employees and procrastinate to the very end of the quarter to meet them.

while I want them to deliver as many cars as possible to end the quarter with as high a delivery number as possible, part of me wonders why Elon doesn't just take the breaks off and let the cars get delivered at a normal pace instead of trying to squeeze as many as possible in the very end of the quarter. If he thinks the stock price is too high he could put the breaks on this practice so that a quarter seems off to and the stock wold probably have substantial drop.
Is it mixed signals? Or perhaps they just like to set quarterly goals for the company and it's employees and procrastinate to the very end of the quarter to meet them.

The delivery pattern really stands out so it is highly likely that something is driving such deliveries pattern. We can only speculate what is driving it, my guess is that employee incentives are in place to achieve certain delivery goals.

I see your point, but from talking with a number of the Tesla folks, it is definitely the later-- Elon just does not believe in putting on the brakes for anything. That said, it is not procrastination, it was clearly the factory upgrade that took too much time that put them behind. Vancouver had all these cars sold months ago, they just could not get them built and up there. Seven of these cars had just arrived on the truck minutes before I got there. They had gotten another full truck the day before. I forgot to ask if they were expecting any MORE trucks before today, but I would not have been surprised!

I would also note that although they were facing a huge task, they were all in really good spirits and whipping about the place with the bit in their teeth.

I do think whatever demo cars they haven't sold off will be totally sold off in December I am guessing we will see a repeat of last year's Q4.

As for Q3 there were a number of reports of such cars disappearing from the stores wouldn't surprise me if they started selling them off this quarter to prep for the new changes.