Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was notified:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tesla has filed an permit application for their second supercharger site in Louisiana. The address is 1772 W. Prien Lake Rd., Lake Charles, LA 70601.[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The City has not actually issued the application, but the permit is in the review process now, which will take anywhere from 1-14 days.[/FONT]

1772 W. Prien Lake Rd., Lake Charles, LA

Oh noes!!! The Texas Teslas will be able to break free soon! Watch out FL! The Texans are coming!!!

I kid of course - congratulations on being able to leave the island soon. If there are ever superchargers up and down I55, I will be able to get to Houston from STL to visit my mom; otherwise Tesla seems to think I only want to go to Chicago...

Last edited:
Lake Charles and Baton Rouge are in permit state, but it will be a TX-LA island until the connection continues eastbound to Florida. Then it will be the shape of a peninsula, longer than the Florida peninsula.

Oh, I understand!

We will need Slidell, LA, Mobile, AL, and Tallahassee, FL before the causeway is complete, but the route is starting to come into view.

With Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and DeFuniak in place I would travel to Dallas from Sarasota. I think with conservative driving I could nurse my 85 to DeFuniak from Lake City (223 miles). Stay overnight at an Rv Campground near Mobile and do Superchargers the rest of the way. Floridians in Texas, Oh No!

I think with conservative driving I could nurse my 85 to DeFuniak from Lake City (223 miles). Stay overnight at an Rv Campground near Mobile and do Superchargers the rest of the way. Floridians in Texas, Oh No!

Ever tried to drive I-10 below the speed limit? Not recommended!

And Floridians are welcome in Texas. They go home when they are done... ;-)

Before the Tampa Supercharger and Level 2 charging at Epcot I made the 240 mile round trip to Disney on a single range charge with 20 miles left on return. Driving 65 mph ( 70 mph limit), even with all the idiot drivers we have in Florida it wasn't too bad. Most of the big rigs are going about the same speed.

There will need to be a location between Lake Charles and Houston, I think. Traveling from Houston, Lake Charles is fine, but on I-10 from the west, it is 215 miles from Columbus to LC...

In the interim, I made that trip with no problems (Lake Charles to the Columbus SuperCharger and back) fine doing 65-70 MPH in my 85 this summer. Even with afternoon thunderstorms and heavy traffic in Houston I had a comfortable margin of 27-42 miles range remaining when I arrived at each location. You can always get a few miles on the HPWC at the Houston Galleria (Tesla Showroom location 24 hour access) or the Houston Service Center HPWC (Business hours) if you need it.

Agree that eventually they will need another Supercharger somewhere between Columbus and Lake Charles.

Mike

In the interim, I made that trip with no problems (Lake Charles to the Columbus SuperCharger and back) fine doing 65-70 MPH in my 85 this summer. Even with afternoon thunderstorms and heavy traffic in Houston I had a comfortable margin of 27-42 miles range remaining when I arrived at each location. You can always get a few miles on the HPWC at the Houston Galleria (Tesla Showroom location 24 hour access) or the Houston Service Center HPWC (Business hours) if you need it.

Agree that eventually they will need another Supercharger somewhere between Columbus and Lake Charles.

Mike

Certainly it can be done, but range charges at Superchargers isn't the "plan", and MS60's are still for sale.

It's been a long time coming, and traveling out of TX will be much less stressful in the near future.

Thanks to you and all the other pioneers who have blazed the trail.

- - - Updated - - -

Before the Tampa Supercharger and Level 2 charging at Epcot I made the 240 mile round trip to Disney on a single range charge with 20 miles left on return. Driving 65 mph ( 70 mph limit), even with all the idiot drivers we have in Florida it wasn't too bad. Most of the big rigs are going about the same speed.

Under normal circumstances, sure it can be done. In my opinion, there is no stretch of road in the country that is as stressful from a crazed driver standpoint than I-10 through the Southeast. There isn't really a "back roads" alternative for much of the route, so if you MUST drive below the speed of traffic flow, you risk your life and that of others on the road. I was compelled to drive an RV pulling a piece of equipment on a trailer from Orlando to San Antonio once -- maximum safe speed about 55 mph. I had fingernails and brown hair at the beginning of the trip...

How's the charging at the L'Auberge? (checking PlugShare, I see that and a ChargePoint at a McDonald's) I'd like to go look but I need ions for the return trip - HouTX Rick

It's 208V, 30A J1772. Charges the Tesla at about 17-18 miles per hour. Free.

20140630_142441_Android.jpg