Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cape Canaveral Cruise Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im going on a Disney Cruise in a few weeks and own a S60. I was looking at driving and parking at the cruise terminal, and doing the math was thinking I might be cutting it close going to the Cape, parking for 3 days, driving to KSC for the last day then back home to my South Orlando home. Im wondering if anyone knows of a good suggestion for cruise and charge parking? Maybe park at one of the hotels that offers charging and shuttle service to the cruise terminals, or maybe someone has found a 110v outlet at the Port Canaveral garages? Just curious what others have done. I saw Port Orange but that is 60 miles north and the wrong direction. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

OK. So, I'll answer the original and my own question... There are three parking options for Port Canaveral
1. Park-N-Cruise (Park N Cruise- Port Canaveral Parking. Only $8.99 per day.) which says they can park your car near their building which can provide you a trickle charge (110v @ 12a). This should be more than enough since you are likely to be parking for at least 3 nights (3 miles per hour x 72 hours = 216 miles = plenty).
2. Park Port Canaveral (Port Canaveral Cruise Parking $5.95 per Day) which has no parking spots near any building and so there is no option to charge at this lot.
3. At the terminal itself. According to the Port Authority official policy there are no EV charging locations. However, I parked in the Disney garage and found a 110v outlet in the garage on the side near the elevators/handicap parking (there are no outlets in the "preferred" outside lot - besides the garage provides shade which is probably better for your car battery anyway). The couple of spots right next to the handicap spots in the garage could reach the outlet with a long extension cord (even the handicap spots would require a short extension cord). I keep a 50' cord in my car all the time and this worked for me. Again, 3 miles per hour of charge is enough since your car will be parked there for a long time. Keep in mind that although this worked for me and that it is not specifically prohibited, this is an un-official use of the outlet and if you try it you just might find some sort of citation on your car when you return or, worse, that it's been unplugged.
Good luck and happy cruising!

The official stance of the port is "there are no EV charging spots." But there are regular 110v outlets in the garage near the elevators (at least at the Disney terminal - and I asked if I could charge up and the staff said "sure"). If you have a long enough extension cord you can trickle charge - I keep a 50 ft cord in my frunk along with the UMC.

Has anyone ever done this more recently? Park someplace near port canaveral with an EV plugged in? I'm going on royal carribean in April and wondered if anyone had experience with their garage.

I emailed ParkNCruise and the owner told me they would NOT allow an EV to plug in.

Emailed ParkPortCanaveral and they said they would accommodate me somehow. They are partners with the Radisson where there is a tesla charger and they said I could even park there (not sure about that I plan on calling them next).

Bumping this thread in hopes someone has figured out an option.

Going in June and found this thread. What did you guys do?
Still haven’t locked in our plans for an April trip. I think we are going to stay the night at the Radisson as they have a free shuttle and have said I could be plugged in. But ultimately I’m considering the fact that maybe it won’t work out and also have the backup plan of just parking and turning everything off so as to minimize battery drain. By my estimates I should return with enough mileage to make it to a supercharger and the next leg of our journey. So yeah. Haven’t come up with any new options.

Cocoa Beach Pier a bit down the road from Cape Canaveral has a free Tesla HPWC in the parking lot.
I charged at the Cocoa Beach Pier on returning from the SpaceX launch on February 7th. Charging is free, but parking cost me $10. They have two Tesla wall connectors. One was only putting out 12 amps. The other was putting out 72 amps. I have a high capacity onboard charger so my charging rate was very nice at about 48 mph for the connector that was working properly.

Larry

Yeah, that's what I would do...drop the family at the pier, get everyone inside the building, then head over to a charging source (or Melbourne supercharger) to top off the battery. Park back at the pier, hop on board the ship.
The Cocoa Beach Pier is 30 miles from the West Melbourne Superchargers. Depending on your route it will take you between 45 minutes to an hour one-way.

The Port Canaveral parking is about 2 miles from the Cocoa Beach Pier. Parking at the Cocoa Beach Pier is $10 per day, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they allow overnight parking.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: pakman00
The City of Cape Canaveral has just installed 2 functioning chargers at their new city hall directly on A1A. Also, the public library (1 street to the east behind city hall) has a charging spot that I often see a S and occasionally an X at. These are maybe 2.5 miles (from Exploration Tower/Royal Caribbean parking) to 4.5 miles (from the north/Carnival Cruise terminal) away. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

The City of Cape Canaveral has just installed 2 functioning chargers at their new city hall directly on A1A. Also, the public library (1 street to the east behind city hall) has a charging spot that I often see a S and occasionally an X at. These are maybe 2.5 miles (from Exploration Tower/Royal Caribbean parking) to 4.5 miles (from the north/Carnival Cruise terminal) away. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Hi Chip,

After the SpaceX launch we visited these chargers at City Hall with a friend. We both plugged in to the Clipper Creek chargers. My Model S was getting about 12 mph and our friend was getting about 18 mph. Then nothing. Both chargers lights went out.

We visited the Public Library and our friend plugged in and got a charge, but we were afraid to connect in fear of bring the her charger down.

Larry

Hi Chip,

After the SpaceX launch we visited these chargers at City Hall with a friend. We both plugged in to the Clipper Creek chargers. My Model S was getting about 12 mph and our friend was getting about 18 mph. Then nothing. Both chargers lights went out.

We visited the Public Library and our friend plugged in and got a charge, but we were afraid to connect in fear of bring the her charger down.

Larry

Whoa serious? Good to know. I'll swing by the CC City Hall and let them know of the issues. Maybe already reported but can't hurt to pop in again and let them know. Thanks for the heads up.

PS: Wasn't that a great launch :) Didn't seem to have the same crackle rumble of the old shuttle launches but wow those flames we're something else!

Whoa serious? Good to know. I'll swing by the CC City Hall and let them know of the issues. Maybe already reported but can't hurt to pop in again and let them know. Thanks for the heads up.

PS: Wasn't that a great launch :) Didn't seem to have the same crackle rumble of the old shuttle launches but wow those flames we're something else!
Hi Chip,

Yes, please let them know. We were there late at night and everything was closed except the police department. By the way, both locations are nicely lighted.

Great and historic launch. We had seen a Shuttle launch and these flames were blindingly brighter. We heard 4 sonic booms, two for each returning booster, that was really amazing!

Larry