Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many UMC's have you been through?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up # 6 from the SC on Saturday. I'm not doing anything to cause them to break. But for some reason they are. I know what some of you are going to tell me...go buy a wall charger...we are...a clipper creek...but what I want to know is why these UMC's are crapping out...even to th point of breaking my charger port once...anyone else having these issues with theirs? If so what did you do to solve it?

Do you know what in particular has been breaking on them? I'm still on my original, but after about 4 months of use, I ended up getting a HPWC so I could keep the UMC with me all the time, so the UMC only gets used for destination charging on road trips.

Do you know what in particular has been breaking on them? I'm still on my original, but after about 4 months of use, I ended up getting a HPWC so I could keep the UMC with me all the time, so the UMC only gets used for destination charging on road trips.

Good question. The SC never told me specifically what was broken on them just that they were broken and they needed to be replaced. They would no longer charge the car. They wouldn't stay in place in the port like I'd have to put something under the charger to keep it in place to keep it charging..usually a paper towel...

I'm on #3 after nearly 13 months. First one died within a couple weeks of delivery. Tesla shipped a new one to me, and it arrived ~36 hours after I first called to report the problem. Second one was replaced early this summer, but only because it was re-opening my charge port while I was coiling it up to put it away. (The service center was easily able to replicate the problem, so I know I wasn't accidentally bumping the button or anything like that.) Third one has been flawless so far. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, and the UMC is my primary means for charging.

We started using my wife's UMC for her everyday charging a few months ago. Found using the Clipper Creek much more cumbersome when it comes to unlocking the charge port even when using the remote controll charge port opener. Since the Clipper Creek is also a CS90, the cable is much heavier and not quite as easy to move around too. So far no issues, but I also cut the charging amperage down to 20amps so things do not get so hot. If we need 40 amps (she has a single charger in her car) then we use the Clipper Creek that is still in place right next to the UMC.

My two year anniversary of life with Model S is tomorrow, and I'm on my second UMC and second charge port. My SC swapped both out at different times, proactively, while they were still operational. I use mine for daily charging as well as road trips.

2+ years and never had an issue with the UMC.

Same here, still on my original UMC after 2+ years; in addition, I am still on my original 14-50 adapter; Tesla never sent me a new one, and this one works fine. For most of the first year, the UMC was my primary charger.

For the last year, I installed HPWC's at my house and second home, and the UMC stays in the trunk. I do give it a test before each road trip, and it keeps on working. Having an HPWC on the wall, and leaving the UMC in the trunk is such a wonderful luxury.

I am on my third UMC. Within a month of receiving our MS in April 2013, the holding/locking pin on the end with the adapter failed. I took the UMC to our Service Center and they replaced it on the spot. About two months ago, we started having charging difficulties ---- the car would not start charging without removing/re-installing the charge plug; or the car would click several times as the charge would start/stop; or the car would sense abnormal voltage drop and lower the charging amperage. I brought the car and UMC to the service center, and after a five minute inspection, they gave me a new UMC.

I keep a second UMC in the car. The first UMC stays plugged into a NEMA 14-50 in my garage (this is the one which has been replaced twice now). I did receive two replacement NEMA 14-50 adapters.