Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A different kind of "Planned Obsolescence"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember when I first heard the term "Planned Obsolescence". I was young and could not understand that anyone would make something as crucial as a car and plan that it would fail at a pre-planned time in order to encourage the owner to junk it and buy a new car. I found that unbelievable. Fast forward a few decades and not only do I believe it now, I see all kinds of nefarious stuff in the business world. I'd like to think I've grown a little more worldly without becoming too cynical.

I feel like I was careful in buying my Model S. I watched the company grow with the Roadster. I knew once they announced the Model S that it was the car for me. That's a long story, but trust me. I did not rush into buying this car.

I am a "buy it and run it 'til the wheels fall off" kind of car owner. I don't normally fall for all the new toys and gadgets. So you can imagine my surprise when I started reading about the new features Tesla was putting into the Model S. I mean, who doesn't want lane departure and this camera that tells you what the speed limit is. All of a sudden I found myself thinking, "I need to sell my car and get a new one with all these cool upgrades."

What!??!!?! Me? What was I thinking? Then I realized. Tesla is brilliant. They are not making cars that will fall apart in a few years. They are making cars and continuously improving them so that you will want to buy a new one just to get the latest tech. This has nothing to do with marketing a new model year vehicle with slightly different lines or a new jingle to improve sales (at least I don't see it that way). I mean come on. If they made me at least think about it, I'm impressed. :smile:

Our other car, that hasn't seen much use since we've gotten the Tesla, is a 2006 Rav4 and has had 8-10 recalls. Simply put there is just too much to go wrong in the cars that are ICE based for them to be worth it and for them to last. The Rav4 has had recalls such as break pedals may not work to the window roller possibly causing a fire under a hot day! Granted that last one could be applicable to any car.

I like how Tesla sells its cars, it does two things to me:

A) They update their previous customers cars to say "Hey buddy, we didn't forget about you when you drove off the lot.". To me it makes me feel like I'm part of a community or family of car owners then just a customer.
B) They bring out incremental updates to their cars physically so that when you're done with the Model S you can get a new Model that hasn't just been reskinned.

I am like you and I drive my cars into the ground, mainly because I don't want to have to use my money on vehicles or go into debt. Clearly the Model S changed that for me and its a passion of mine to always drive electric now.

It hits home you know? I watched a truck commercial the other day that LITERALLY said "Innovative LED flat bed truck lights"...... WHAT?! "INNOVATIVE"? What in the hell? Its led lights! You can get those at Wal Mart. You're not changing the game! Ugh, I can't watch car commercials anymore...

All car manufacturers improve their cars over time so you'll want to buy a new one. It just seems to us like Tesla is doing it faster because the Model S was missing so many common features when it was first released.

I doubt Tesla had the cash to delay the Model S release 3 more years until it had adaptive cruise control.

Mike, you should hold out for parking sensors :love:

When Tesla improves its cars, I say good for it. What else is it supposed to do? Go "model year" crazy like the others? Not improve them? Anyone who wants this company to succeed will surely applaud the latest developments and hope they work well.

:biggrin: The lack of lighting in the visor vanity mirrors was the FIRST thing my wife commented on when she got into the car the first time. Her comment was "This must have been designed by a man".

This was a very early on promised feature. Cars were supposed to be retrofitted with new visors that included lights and some (like mine) even have the 12v wiring up there all ready for it. That 12v wire disappeared on newer cars, and all hopes of a retrofit faded about a year ago. (...for those newer owners who may not be aware of this).