Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How and where to pull plug / power to the VMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Now thinking about it, its the VMS not VDS I need to reboot.

**Moderators, please update the title to reflect "VMS" not "VDS".

Need to reboot the VMS computer on my 1.5 by pulling the power to it (harness connector) since my USB stick fails to be recognized. Getting an error USB stick failure on all the sticks I used in the past.

When I took it into Tesla they rebooted it without me there. I asked how its done and they pointed to the center console (in front of the usb plug) that there's a connection there on the top that's pulled to power cycle the VMS. I took the sides/front off that console, two plugs are there, however the module they plug into is clearly labeled as the HVAC module, not the VMS.

Any clue where the VMS box is or how I can pull power from it?

Thanks!

Link to pics of what the VMS looks like:

FS: tesla roadster 2.0 canadian VMS computer - SOLD

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, found it... its directly above where the passenger foot well is.

I pulled the black plug out first, then the blue plug. waited 10+ seconds, put the blue plug back in followed by the black. Note you'll be locked out of your car while the VMS reboots so be patient. I went inside the house, got my keys, hit the lock/unlock button and by that time the VMS was fully up and running. Then placed the USB stick in which is now recognized, and the VMS is successfully dumping the log file.

b822f64f-b089-4541-a80f-8d7f31ec73642.JPG

Last edited:
Good point Mark, I was very gentle and didn't want to stress it. There's a tab towards the VMS box of the connector that you lift gently up on which unlocks the plug. Then gently pull back on it. There's a waterproof seal on it. Be sure that when you re-insert the plugs that they fully "click" in place. You don't want these plugs to wiggle out on you while driving!

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster

Now thinking about it, its the VMS not VDS I need to reboot.

**Moderators, please update the title to reflect "VMS" not "VDS".

Need to reboot the VMS computer on my 1.5 by pulling the power to it (harness connector) since my USB stick fails to be recognized. Getting an error USB stick failure on all the sticks I used in the past.

When I took it into Tesla they rebooted it without me there. I asked how its done and they pointed to the center console (in front of the usb plug) that there's a connection there on the top that's pulled to power cycle the VMS. I took the sides/front off that console, two plugs are there, however the module they plug into is clearly labeled as the HVAC module, not the VMS.

Any clue where the VMS box is or how I can pull power from it?

Thanks!

Link to pics of what the VMS looks like:

FS: tesla roadster 2.0 canadian VMS computer - SOLD

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, found it... its directly above where the passenger foot well is.

I pulled the black plug out first, then the blue plug. waited 10+ seconds, put the blue plug back in followed by the black. Note you'll be locked out of your car while the VMS reboots so be patient. I went inside the house, got my keys, hit the lock/unlock button and by that time the VMS was fully up and running. Then placed the USB stick in which is now recognized, and the VMS is successfully dumping the log file.

View attachment 60182

THANKS guys you saved my day!!! Have my tri annual inspection tomorrow morning and wanted to get everything ready....... No connection error!! Called TESLA night service and they were like no clue...... Almost gave up and then I figured it's got to be on here somewhere........ Read these posts and voila! She is up and running and ready for the inspection in the morning!!

Thanks again

Do I need a UBS stick for dumping logs?
Yes, you do.

How to download the log file to a USB flash drive:

• Use a USB flash drive that is 4GB or smaller.
  • Ensure the key is turned OFF and the vehicle is not charging.
  • Create a top-level folder on the flash drive called "VehicleLogs" (case-sensitive). This naming convention is very important.
  • Insert the flash drive into the vehicle's USB port (on the center console). The Touch Screen displays an alert asking you not to remove the memory stick and providing status of the transfer. If the Touch Screen goes to "sleep," tap the screen to "wake it up." The process takes from 10-15 minutes.
  • When the alert is no longer displayed, remove the flash drive.
The log file will be located on your flash drive in VehicleLogs/VIN/YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.tar (where VIN is your Vehicle Identifi cation Number).​

Yes, you do.

How to download the log file to a USB flash drive:

• Use a USB flash drive that is 4GB or smaller.
  • Ensure the key is turned OFF and the vehicle is not charging.
  • Create a top-level folder on the flash drive called "VehicleLogs" (case-sensitive). This naming convention is very important.
  • Insert the flash drive into the vehicle's USB port (on the center console). The Touch Screen displays an alert asking you not to remove the memory stick and providing status of the transfer. If the Touch Screen goes to "sleep," tap the screen to "wake it up." The process takes from 10-15 minutes.
  • When the alert is no longer displayed, remove the flash drive.
The log file will be located on your flash drive in VehicleLogs/VIN/YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.tar (where VIN is your Vehicle Identifi cation Number).​
Am I right in remembering that there's an analysis program somewhere?