Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with informational flyers please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CatB

Supporting Member
I have a bunch of informational printouts (many found here on this forum) that I put in plastic sleeves and leave in my frunk. When I pop the frunk at cars'n'coffee, it's very helpful to have the pictures of the battery pack, motor & inverter, and a lot of other information.

Since I am asked how long it takes to charge, I put together the attached and am not sure I have accurate (real-life, not theoretical) info on J1772. I would love suggestions and edits.

And yes, I'm a "recovering engineer" and I consider my aesthetic intelligence to be in the "functionally color blind" category (really not kidding here, I've had "friends" ask if I've considered going on "what not to wear" lol), so I will be thrilled (absolutely not offended) if any graphically gifted folks want to do a major reconstruction, I'll be happy to email you the, um...
M$ppt.:scared:

And yes, if anyone has any other informational handouts they'd like to send on to me, I'd love to have them.

In fact, at TMC Connect, someone gave me a business card that had TMC url on one side and "configure your own" with teslamotors.com on the other side, which would also come in handy.

Attachments

• Tesla Charging 2-sided.pdf
    221 KB · Views: 227
You asked for feedback so here you go:

Page 1
  1. White on light-blue is a bit weak on contrast -- hurts readability for some people.
  2. In your outlet chart, sort by kW (or MORPHOC) -- i.e. move the dryers above the 14-50.
  3. Bottom left graphic - "selected is gray, channel is bright colored" is confusing -- make the selection color bright and the channel gray. [I'm aware that Tesla's own in car UI "doesn't get this right" (IMO).]
  4. Bottom left graphic - Charger, Power and Battery text needs a larger font.
  5. To the unfamiliar, it isn't obvious that the bottom right image is an HPWC.

Page 2
  1. The phrase "totally do-able" isn't strong enough. It comes across (to me) as "plausible" rather than "confirmed" (think Mythbusters).
  2. I'm not a fan of "!!".
  3. The "14/50" should be "14-50" both for correctness and consistency with page 1.
  4. The underlining of "for free" should not include the space after free.
  5. "SuperChargers" should not have the "C" capitalized.
  6. Graphic glitch - the bottom left of the "Rate of Charge Graph" has the top of some text at the bottom right. Content tease!
  7. Supercharger count for North America needs updating. I think either the US or North America reached 200 this week.

I feel that folks will want to know, "What is the electricity cost to recharge the battery vs. Gasoline for a specific quantity of miles, say 100 miles?"
I think Tesla has an online calculator for that. Naturally the Supercharger is free.
BTW, the total cost of electricity (here in CT) is the KW hours divided into the total monthly bill which provides the real (Delivered) KW hour cost.
The generation cost of a KW hour is misleading as we have transmission fees per KW hour AND various other fees and taxes.... which almost double the generation rate... sadly.

Thanks, Art

Thanks everyone, I can make some quick fixes now before the 8am cars'n'coffee. Unfortunately, a LOT of the information was screencopied from Tesla's website, so changing those graphics might be beyond my skills and bandwidth:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Tesla Charging 2-sided v2.pdf
    256.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
1) level 1 J1772 are rare as hen's teeth. I would show a photo of a UMC with its NEMA 5-15 household plug adapter instead (4 mph)
2) a PlugShare map of J1772 stations only would be a nice addition. (17 mph, for most of them)
3) Tesla's map of destination HPWC's, along with suncountry's map of 80 A J1772's (59 mph) would be another nice addition:

Find Us | Tesla Motors

GSP

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I can make some quick fixes now before the 8am cars'n'coffee. Unfortunately, a LOT of the information was screencopied from Tesla's website, so changing those graphics might be beyond my skills and bandwidth:rolleyes:
FWIW, nothing in your PDF came across as deceptive or misleading in any significant way so no real urgency in updating.

Nicely done.

My suggestions pertain to the SpC location information:
*it would be good to refer to the NoAm map as "current as of <insert date of printing>"

and likewise

*change the appropriate line to something more like "As of end-September, 2014, there were more than 200...."

You also might get the occasional lemming that's dialed into the hydrogen fuel cell hype. Here's some information I've used to help combat that (it also helps with the crazy that starts saying "Enjoy your coal powered car!") :

http://cleantechnica.com/files/2014/06/Fuel_Cell_Whole_Truth1.jpg <- Make sure you study the facts in here before trying to talk about it. There's a lot of stuff.

Hydrogen tank + PEM Fuel cell = crappy battery

12 Hydrogen filling stations:
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Hydrogen Fueling Station Locations

8500+ stations:
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

Chris:
I'm assuming you're not responsible for that Cleantechnica file. I despair of whoever did create it; in my opinion it is one unholy mess of a chart. Or graph. Or....well, I don't know what it is, but it is a terrible presentation! It's really, really difficult to try to grasp whatever it is that is attempting to be demonstrated.

Just my opinion, of course.

I agree, AudubonB. Sometimes simpler is better:
Cleantechnica_Simpler.png

And if you want a little fancy:
Cleantechnica_Simpler2.png

Black = Gasoline
Gray = Diesel
Purple = Prius "Hybrid"
Red Herring = Fuel Cell
Green = EV

Last edited: