Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Times bends the facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article makes reference to the NYT one vfx mentioned at the top of the thread: Blood Tesla: Eco-Friendly Products Require Rare Metals From Chinese Mines That Destroy World

I'm concerned that with Murdoch's new policy of charging for news :)rolleyes:) means they can make outrageous statements and then hide behind the login page.

EDIT: So I read the article (you can get access directly through a phone browser). Most of it seems reasonable - pointing out that the trade is heavily corrupt, the extraction methods used are damaging and that new mines will come online in Australia, South Africa and Canada (hopefully better regulated), but this will take time. They also point the finger at Toyota as a user of the material. I'd hope that the article was intended to highlight the problem to get something done about it - rather than frighten people into not supporting the products. At least, I'd hope intelligent readers would take that message away from it.

It's Business Insider's link to Tesla that really leaves a nasty taste. There's absolutely no justification for it and I hope they follow it up.

Last edited:
I see that Doug has pointed out, in the comments following the article, that Tesla's AC Induction motor doesn't use rare earth elements like Permanent Magnet motors do. I think he was somewhat annoyed (as was I), but posted in a classy way.

Way to go Doug!

GSP