Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the new yellow line on the speedometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got in the car this morning and now I see a yellow dotted line in the regen section. I never noticed this before. Is it new? Does it show max regen?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411819706.102415.jpg

Yes. It looks like you are close to a 100% charge (range charge), and so there's very little "room" to dump charge back in to the battery during regen... so it's limited.

As your battery charge drops while driving, you'll regain more regen capability...

When I took delivery they went out of their way to point this out to me because apparently a lot of people get their car when it's fully charged and then immediately think something is wrong with it because of this yellow line.

Thanks everyone. This was the first time I did a full range charge because of a trip. Good to know.

Since you are taking a trip, the dashed yellow bar will start appearing in the upper right quadrant as you get closer to the end of your rated range.
And if you go below about 40 miles of rated range, the green starts changing color also.

It's great you are taking your first trip: have fun!!!!

***********For the OP and other newbies reading this - in my estimation, the important point is to consider strongly that limited regeneration that a number of the responders mention. If your driving habits have become accustomed to regen-braking, Watch Out!!!! because this topped-off battery bank ain't-a-gonna be your friend for a number of miles.************

***********For the OP and other newbies reading this - in my estimation, the important point is to consider strongly that limited regeneration that a number of the responders mention. If your driving habits have become accustomed to regen-braking, Watch Out!!!! because this topped-off battery bank ain't-a-gonna be your friend for a number of miles.************

Well stated.

Software compensation for this (reflected in use of actual brakes) would be grand.

Me either! I think the design as is is good and simple. Linking regen with the brake pedal can be done (as in many hybrids) but it would introduce a bunch of complex hardware and software for very little value. I have no problem using the brake a bit more when regen is limited due to a full battery or, more often for me, a cold battery.

Disagree. Engaging friction brakes when the accelerator pedal is lifted is "new an unusual" (all drivers) and "wasteful" (EV drivers). I don't want this on my vehicle.

Totally agree that it is wasteful, though how do you feel about the inconsistent user experience for times one forgets about total lack of regen braking when range charging (or in cold weather)? It's always a surprise to me since I range charge so infrequently. Thankfully I've never been in a situation where I have forgotten while speeding into the back of another vehicle/wall/etc.

Those of us living in cold climates experience this every winter morning. Until the battery warms up you won't get full regen and the amount of regen varies as the car warms up. So it pays to be attentive so you aren't surprised by the first regen moment of the day.