Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Placement with the ACC Sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With cars now coming off the line with an ACC sensor at the bottom of the lower air intake, those looking to avoid a license plate on the nose cone will need new placement options. Let's discuss them here.

First thought: can the plate be mounted in the area directly above this sensor?

I've seen many other cars (especially Masseratis due to their front end design, which is pretty similar to the Model S) mount the license plate to the lower left (as seen facing the car) rather than in the middle. I've even considered doing this on my car but opted for the standard lower middle. I use the Torklift central "the Law" mount and I think it would work well in an alternate mount site.

I've seen many other cars (especially Masseratis due to their front end design, which is pretty similar to the Model S) mount the license plate to the lower left (as seen facing the car) rather than in the middle. I've even considered doing this on my car but opted for the standard lower middle. I use the Torklift central "the Law" mount and I think it would work well in an alternate mount site.
That's probably going to be your only option. Many sports cars, especially those which are turbocharged, mount the license plate off to the side to allow full airflow through the front radiator/intake. We'll probably have to do the same.

Nobody's tried mounting the plate off-center yet? Anyone have pics?

I'm currently planning on doing this, but with the curvature of the nose (viewed from above) I'm having trouble envisioning whether it will look strange.

I don't have the ACC sensor but I do have "The Law" which I'd be happy to mount with an old plate (don't have my plates yet) on the front of my car off center temporarily to show what it'd be like if it'd be helpful to you?

I don't have the ACC sensor but I do have "The Law" which I'd be happy to mount with an old plate (don't have my plates yet) on the front of my car off center temporarily to show what it'd be like if it'd be helpful to you?

Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to put you through that unnecessarily. I can try it out on my car when it comes in 2 weeks. If it doesn't work, then I guess I need to make a trip to the service center. But if someone's going to do it anyway, it'd be nice to see. Photos of that should be streaming in soon, I'd expect...

An example of mounting to the side

I used the 4" J-hooks from Lowe's that many have used (the J just fits through the grill to hook it from the back), just on the side. Cut a few notches in the license plate frame (soft rubber) to make it fit better. Filed down the plate screws just a bit so they can't hit the bumper if pressed. I used an extra nut on the back side of the J-hook so I could lock the two nuts against each other and not have to pull as tightly against the grill. I also cut the J-hook down to fit - after setting up the plate, I marked the hook and then cut off what turned out to be about an inch with a hacksaw- they are easy to cut. The 4 inch hooks are a good thickness, so I didn't use smaller ones (which probably still would have had to be cut to get them to the exact size)

I looked at the sensor enclosure sides and this looks like it won't interfere with the signal.

IMG_3519a.jpg
IMG_3520a.jpg
IMG_3521a.JPG
IMG_3522a.jpg
IMG_3527a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I simply stuck my front plate on the nose cone with three small pieces of 3M automotive double stick tape (the red backing kind). Same stuff that holds the emblems and the rear spoiler on the car.

Been fine for nearly two years. Ain't coming off unless I want it off, which is pretty easy to do. No drilling, no holes, no brackets. Super simple. Took less than 5 minutes. Highly recommended.

I'll be doing the same when I get my P85D.

IMG_20140114_132338.jpg

IMG_20141012_110007.jpg

Last edited:
Ecarfan - I agree that it looks .....off-center....actually, if you google "front license plate images", you'll see that a selection of performance cars have them exactly where mine is - they have scoops in the middle that they don't want to block....or they use the tow-hook mounting to avoid drilling...(or maybe it is just a thing performance car owners do)...

- - - Updated - -

2012_bmw_535i_front_license_plate_1200.jpg
images-1.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
images.jpeg
License_Plate_2.jpg
Maserati plate bracket.jpg

Gzerninplatz, thanks for posting your solution.

I'm glad I live in Arizona. Not found of any of these solutions..

Question: Can you simply affix the numbers/letters directly to the front skirt of the car (and omit the plate)?

Typically that's not legal, so also not a solution. I'm not a huge fan of the off-center placement either...just seems too asymmetrical. Damn...looks like I'll be affixing to the nosecone short of a brilliant solution. I wonder how it would look mounted such that the bottom of the plate is immediately above the radar sensor. At least it'd still be lower on the nose that way.

After exploring options when I picked up my car today, I had them install the front plate. Off-center just looked "unbalanced", and placing the plate immediately above the radar wasn't too different from just putting it in the factory location.

I'd like to forget the front plate, but when I took delivery of VIN1653 in Dec of 2012 I was stopped by a state trooper within 3 days...because I didn't have a front plate.

After exploring options when I picked up my car today, I had them install the front plate. Off-center just looked "unbalanced", and placing the plate immediately above the radar wasn't too different from just putting it in the factory location.

I'd like to forget the front plate, but when I took delivery of VIN1653 in Dec of 2012 I was stopped by a state trooper within 3 days...because I didn't have a front plate.

The missing front plate was probably the excuse, but I'll bet he just wanted a closer look at your car! :eek:

Boy, that looks crappy.

I used the 4" J-hooks from Lowe's that many have used (the J just fits through the grill to hook it from the back), just on the side. Cut a few notches in the license plate frame (soft rubber) to make it fit better. Filed down the plate screws just a bit so they can't hit the bumper if pressed. I used an extra nut on the back side of the J-hook so I could lock the two nuts against each other and not have to pull as tightly against the grill. I also cut the J-hook down to fit - after setting up the plate, I marked the hook and then cut off what turned out to be about an inch with a hacksaw- they are easy to cut. The 4 inch hooks are a good thickness, so I didn't use smaller ones (which probably still would have had to be cut to get them to the exact size)

I looked at the sensor enclosure sides and this looks like it won't interfere with the signal.

View attachment 61307View attachment 61308View attachment 61309View attachment 61310View attachment 61311

- - - Updated - - -