Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storing the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a new job (yay me!). However, it entails traveling away months at a time (yay and nay). What should I do with my car?

I have no plans to sell the car (unless I really have to).

The stretches in between being away and being at home could be up to 6 months, so the car would need to be stored. Any advice? Oh, and I plan to rent out my place while away, so I can't store it in my garage.

Thanks!

You'll want to store it somewhere you can plug it in - even if it's just a 110V outlet. My suggestion would be to set the charge limit to 50% and leave it plugged into a 110V outlet while you're gone. 50% is the best place for a battery while in storage.

You'll want to store it somewhere you can plug it in - even if it's just a 110V outlet. My suggestion would be to set the charge limit to 50% and leave it plugged into a 110V outlet while you're gone. 50% is the best place for a battery while in storage.

Yes, I was planning to have it plugged into 110V at 50%. The question is where? Would one go to Public Storage? Are there any people have used for a car?

I am kinda thinking Storage Wars, and someone is gonna thrilled to win the auction of my storage unit.

(Sorry for trying to hijack your thread)

I am also planning to travel abroad for about a month in winter, and there is a chance I may be away for longer than a month (may be two months). I live in a condo that has open carport style garage. I don't want to leave my car plugged in with the cables openly accessible. So, I am planning to leave my car in friends' garage instead, plugged into a 120v outlet, max charge set to 50%. I have a few questions:

1. My first annual service is due in the middle of my travel. Is is better to get the car serviced before or after its long idle standing period? I am guessing after.
  2. The first annual service deadline (if I recall correctly) is 13 months from the date of purchase. Can this be pushed at all, or is this super strict?
  3. Has anyone bought either of the car covers? I am considering buying the exterior one. Any comments?
  4. Obviously, I will leave a key fob with my friends, when I am away. Are there any particular instructions I should remember to give them?

Another thought - how long do you anticipate this job lasting? Meaning, if you are gone months at a time for a couple of years and not driving the S, paying for storage/CA registration/depreciation, worried about battery health and so on, would it be smarter to sell the car, put the proceeds in an interest bearing account, and purchase a new/used/demo Model S once your stint is over?

I thought I've read that the Roadster has a "storage mode" and that the battery is at less than 50%. Can someone confirm?

On a more serious note, is there concern about the tires developing flat spots within six months with a car this heavy?

Yes and that's covered in the manual (from the section on tire maintenance):

If Model S is stationary for a long period in high temperatures, tires can form flat spots. When Model S is driven, these flat spots cause a vibration which gradually disappears as the tires warm up and regain their original shape. To minimize the flat spots during storage, inflate tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire wall. Then, before driving, release air to adjust tire pressure to the recommended levels.

1. My first annual service is due in the middle of my travel. Is is better to get the car serviced before or after its long idle standing period? I am guessing after.
  2. The first annual service deadline (if I recall correctly) is 13 months from the date of purchase. Can this be pushed at all, or is this super strict?
  3. Has anyone bought either of the car covers? I am considering buying the exterior one. Any comments?
  4. Obviously, I will leave a key fob with my friends, when I am away. Are there any particular instructions I should remember to give them?

1. I thought the annual service was mileage based, not time based, as you're supposed to come in at 12k miles. However, if you're at 11 months and 11k miles, it doesn't seem unreasonable to bring it in early. With the small amount of moving parts, I wouldn't worry about needing service after long-term idling. The only counter is if they wash/detail/etc. at the service, and you were, for example, storing outside.

2. I have no clue, but I would assume talk to the local SC, and they will work with you.

4. Tell them you have the app on your phone and can tell the mileage at any point. Also, paraphrase the Liam Neeson speech from Taken as the consequence if you find they've been joy-riding.

Another thought - how long do you anticipate this job lasting? Meaning, if you are gone months at a time for a couple of years and not driving the S, paying for storage/CA registration/depreciation, worried about battery health and so on, would it be smarter to sell the car, put the proceeds in an interest bearing account, and purchase a new/used/demo Model S once your stint is over?

I anticipate that the job to be a one year stint overseas, with 2 trips back to the US (hence the 6 month in between). After the one year, I will negotiate more time to be spent in the US.

Twice I've put (ICE) cars in storage, because I loved them and wanted them back when I returned. For different reasons, in both cases it turned out to be a bad idea. Maybe you'll have a better experience, but I'm afraid I would recommend selling it while the selling is good. Sorry to be a downer.

Suppose you put it into some sort of self-storage unit plugged into 110v. Some sort of power outage trips a circuit breaker. No-one checks on it for a few months, and it's unable to "phone home" because it's in a metal cage, and you come back to no battery. Or maybe it does alert Tesla, who send you email that your car needs attention, but you're in some far away place; what do you have to do? Just examples.

First, congrats on the new job!

It seems to me that selling it is the best option here, as painful as it might be. You'd likely be constantly worried about it while away, and you don't need that unnecessary stress with a new job and travel. Not to mention costs to store, insure, etc for something you won't even be driving. Find a storage place you'd likely use and do the math. Would all those costs outweigh the depreciation hit you'd take in selling it now? If no... then imagine getting to go through all the excitement of ordering a new one all over again later!

On a more serious note, is there concern about the tires developing flat spots within six months with a car this heavy?

Because the tires are sized for the car, there is actually no difference between a light car and a heavy car. However, it's best to put the car on stands and lower the tire pressure to 8 or 10 psi.

I anticipate that the job to be a one year stint overseas, with 2 trips back to the US (hence the 6 month in between). After the one year, I will negotiate more time to be spent in the US.

Gotcha. I think that if you have someone who can check on, occasionally drive and baby the car, you'd be fine. I don't know if I'd just put it in storage without contact for 6 months.

I think Butterfly nailed it. You may take a hit vs. purchase price, but not that much vs. storage costs. You can focus on your new job, be flexible for other new opportunities, and put yourself into the mode of watching new features come along and anticipating your new build when you get back. It will be tough, but you're going to be missing the car anyway.

I thought the annual service was mileage based, not time based, as you're supposed to come in at 12k miles. However, if you're at 11 months and 11k miles, it doesn't seem unreasonable to bring it in early. With the small amount of moving parts, I wouldn't worry about needing service after long-term idling. The only counter is if they wash/detail/etc. at the service, and you were, for example, storing outside.
Originally it was 12.5k miles but called "annual". Then there was <rabble rabble rabble> and Tesla said you can do it whenever you like. Every 12.5k miles. Once a year. Four times in the same month just before the end of the 4th year. Knock yourself out.