Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many Tesla Roadsters Were Sold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the contract always for 2500? I thought I remembered them taking an option to expand the contract by a few hundred, but don't recall if it was on top of the 2500 or to get it to 2500. I suppose I should ask our friendly search feature and Google, but I don't really care that much :) and the difference in numbers isn't meaningful, just interesting trivia.

On the factory our yesterday I thought the guy said something like 2346. He gave an exact number and said he knew that because it was the last one. I may be remembering the number incorrectly.

On the factory our yesterday I thought the guy said something like 2346. He gave an exact number and said he knew that because it was the last one. I may be remembering the number incorrectly.

Last North American roadster was VIN 1464

Not sure highest European VIN, but I know of a 799. (Different VIN sequence from North America.)

And there were ~27 Founders' series Roadsters

And there were ~33 VPs (Validation Prototypes).

And there were ~10 EPs (Engineering/Evaluation Prototypes) that weren't sold, so don't really count.

And there were a few "mules" that weren't really complete Roadsters.

Last edited:
Last North American roadster was VIN 1464

Not sure highest European VIN, but I know of a 799. (Different VIN sequence from North America.)

And there were ~27 Founders' series Roadsters

And there were ~33 VPs (Validation Prototypes).

And there were ~10 EPs (Engineering/Evaluation Prototypes) that weren't sold, so don't really count.

And there were a few "mules" that weren't really complete Roadsters.

Actually I own one of the last Roadsters sold in Europe (not THE last one though). My VIN is 968. Before I got it in July 2013 Tesla had used it as a demo car for a few months.

They had the silver Roadster used in the first Iron Man movie. Also a clay model.

I meant to say in previous post that he bought the last one for himself.

Who was he in your last sentence?

I remember the Iron Man scene in the shop/garage when testing his invention got a little out of control. My recollection is the Roadster went unscathed but some of the other supercars were seriously toasted.

I remember the Iron Man scene in the shop/garage when testing his invention got a little out of control. My recollection is the Roadster went unscathed but some of the other supercars were seriously toasted.

Don't think this bit goes far enough, but there's a lot of screen time for the silver one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwzuMk8SRzY

Unscathed because Elon *is* Tony Stark.

No wait - he can't be. He got totally blocked on Pepper by Tony here :wink::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuG2AVFB-g0

By the way, that Roadster wasn't a production unit. It was a pre-production prototype hand built concept/mule. I think it had a lot of bondo and fiberglass and really wasn't meant to be driven much.

3261699843_7b3d82f197_b.jpg

The tour guide for the factory tour said he bought the last Roadster for himself.

The tour guide for the factory tour said he bought the last Roadster for himself.

By "he" do you mean the tour guide? That is the way your sentence is constructed. That would surprise me. The guides I had during my factory tour didn't look like they could afford a Roadster, especially one of the final series cars.

Or by "he" do you mean Elon?

I assume you do not mean Tony Stark.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting link to four of five. Which was part of the final nine. Since the last nine cars where delivered five for the US and four for EU.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/tesla/2012-tesla-roadster-final-edition-ar121749/pictures.html

So it seems that for US VIN's the numbers top out around 146x. Obviously this does not answer how many units where sold per se. It does indicate how many units Tesla thinks it produced.

Counting VIN's is always tricky. You should see the madness Ferrari created over the years.

Cheers,
Charles