Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road conditions on the way to Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know how you do, looking to take the Roadster up to Tahoe as well one of these days say from Santa Cruz. Would be interesting if you let us know what your "ideal miles and estimated miles" are around the base of the mountain, Sacramento (pic some landmark), and the miles/comparison when you reach the top around Donner Pass. Be aware you're going to gobble up a bunch of energy doing the ascent. Regen coming back will be sweet though!

Your charge stops and the volt/amp of charge stations will be awesome if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Enjoy!

Let us know how you do, looking to take the Roadster up to Tahoe as well one of these days say from Santa Cruz. Would be interesting if you let us know what your "ideal miles and estimated miles" are around the base of the mountain, Sacramento (pic some landmark), and the miles/comparison when you reach the top around Donner Pass. Be aware you're going to gobble up a bunch of energy doing the ascent. Regen coming back will be sweet though!

Your charge stops and the volt/amp of charge stations will be awesome if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Enjoy!

We usually calculate about 120% of the road mileage to compensate for the altitude gain.

bob

Sorry guys, I decided to go safe the first time and scout out the conditions prior to taking the roadster. We took my girlfriend's car.

The roads are excellent, well-paved, very well-kept everywhere, even small local roads off the highway (Kings beach, Tahoe City, Carnelian bay, etc). Lots of low sports cars spotted here already. The weather conditions are good too this time of year. There were definitely a lot of steep hills on the way (Lake Tahoe is at 6000ft).

I think personally it's definitely doable on a roadster this time of year, but I might wait until after the 400mile upgrade. It'll be a lot more convenient.

Sorry guys, I decided to go safe the first time and scout out the conditions prior to taking the roadster. We took my girlfriend's car.

The roads are excellent, well-paved, very well-kept everywhere, even small local roads off the highway (Kings beach, Tahoe City, Carnelian bay, etc). Lots of low sports cars spotted here already. The weather conditions are good too this time of year. There were definitely a lot of steep hills on the way (Lake Tahoe is at 6000ft).

I think personally it's definitely doable on a roadster this time of year, but I might wait until after the 400mile upgrade. It'll be a lot more convenient.

Seems doable enough just because of the Clipper Creek facility on the way providing that sweet, sweet 70A lovin' :love:

Shoot, plenty of us take our Roadsters up there year round. Jack Bowers used to make the trip on a regular basis (he's since relocated to the Nevada side). I've had mine up there a few times where I had to wait for the pass to reopen. It did great in the snow.

Shoot, plenty of us take our Roadsters up there year round. Jack Bowers used to make the trip on a regular basis (he's since relocated to the Nevada side). I've had mine up there a few times where I had to wait for the pass to reopen. It did great in the snow.

Now, I'm curious. Do you guys in sunny California actually buy winter tires for your roadsters or this 'did great in the snow' comment applies to the usual slick/summer tires?

We live just over the hill from Tahoe in Nevada and have not had too much of an issue with driving our Roadster in the winter. We have found that NV DOT's snow removal crew does a really good job and only need to use my Tacoma on the worst days. No, we don't have snow tires or cables/chains just M/S tires on the rear. We have found that the mud & muck from winter driving does take a toll and is miserable to clean off, though.

We live just over the hill from Tahoe in Nevada and have not had too much of an issue with driving our Roadster in the winter. We have found that NV DOT's snow removal crew does a really good job and only need to use my Tacoma on the worst days. No, we don't have snow tires or cables/chains just M/S tires on the rear. We have found that the mud & muck from winter driving does take a toll and is miserable to clean off, though.

Do they use salt?