Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for my order or take available inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Sales Manager just messaged me today saying they have a P85+ inventory car that is speced similar to what I ordered. The biggest difference is the seats are the "Standard" where as I ordered the performance. All other specs are pretty much the same.

My question is, should i take this car or wait for my order which will be delivered, as of now, at late Nov. The car has 4136miles.

Also, does anyone know why inventory cars suddenly become available for sale? I'm going to see the car tomorrow and I'll as my Sales Manager that question, but if anyone knows beforehand that would be great.

My Sales Manager just messaged me today saying they have a P85+ inventory car that is speced similar to what I ordered. The biggest difference is the seats are the "Standard" where as I ordered the performance. All other specs are pretty much the same.

My question is, should i take this car or wait for my order which will be delivered, as of now, at late Nov. The car has 4136miles.

Also, does anyone know why inventory cars suddenly become available for sale? I'm going to see the car tomorrow and I'll as my Sales Manager that question, but if anyone knows beforehand that would be great.

I can't answer whether you should wait for your order or take the loaner. Plus to take loaner: Less expensive and you have it now. Con: Not only the seats but consider cars are rolling out with some additional driver assist features that may or may not interest you.
Question I can answer: Why do they sell inventory cars: They do this a lot at the end of each calendar quarter to try to deliver as many cars as possible during the quarter...So, if this pattern continues TM will try to sell as many inventory cars as possible by sept 30th.

I would wait & get the new cars with the new sensors that offer speed assist, lane departure warning & other features that will be added, parking sensors became available a few weeks after I took delivery & I really wish my car had them.

They only allow so many miles to accumulate on their loaner/demo cars. Once they hit the miles, they get sold. The only difference that I am aware of between the seats is the trim level. The seat itself is the same.

Well one car has 4k, and the other car he offered has 2k.

The Performance seats also have Alcantara inserts.

- - - Updated - - -

I would wait & get the new cars with the new sensors that offer speed assist, lane departure warning & other features that will be added, parking sensors became available a few weeks after I took delivery & I really wish my car had them.

The biggest question is, is my car going to have those features? I know the DS will not give me a definitive answer. And if my car doesn't have them, then i'll have waited for a new car.

Thanks for all the input! This will definitely impact my decision tomorrow whether to take the car or wait for my order.

If you get the loaner, you get a discount off the price as well.
Then you pull forward a sale into Q3 from Q4.
If you order the car, you get your choice of seats, the new sensor features and pay more and wait longer.

The biggest question is, is my car going to have those features? I know the DS will not give me a definitive answer. And if my car doesn't have them, then i'll have waited for a new car.

Thanks for all the input! This will definitely impact my decision tomorrow whether to take the car or wait for my order.

I'm not sure why everyone's DS are being so dodgy. I was straight up told by my Owner Advisor that my car, VIN 566xx due for delivery in Late November, will definitely have the new features (lane drifting/speed assist). However, he is much less forthcoming now I'm suggesting that I want to try taking off the parking sensors I ordered and replacing it with something else :biggrin:

I guess it's just luck of the draw, there's a fantastic team in the NY/New England area.

How important would the new sensors, and possible software upgrades later, to you.
If you like the idea of having them, you know the loaner won't have them, and the new car may.
You could probably just tell them to hold your order until those sensors are included.

I'm not sure why everyone's DS are being so dodgy. I was straight up told by my Owner Advisor that my car, VIN 566xx due for delivery in Late November, will definitely have the new features (lane drifting/speed assist). However, he is much less forthcoming now I'm suggesting that I want to try taking off the parking sensors I ordered and replacing it with something else :biggrin:

I guess it's just luck of the draw, there's a fantastic team in the NY/New England area.

I worked with the staff in Natick & Watertown MA and very much enjoyed the experience overall! I made one request for a change soon after confirming (coil -> air) that ended up being allowed (but they had to get the mothership to approve first), and a few weeks later I inquired about a shift in paint color and was told No directly by my DS. General consensus is that requesting changes is a very unpredictable thing once you've confirmed.

As tempting as a fast confirmation is in order to expedite when you get your car, I'd definitely advise those w/down payments to be sure they are VERY comfortable with their configuration before confirming, as no request for change after that is guaranteed, and they often ARE refused.

Haha I very much doubt they're going to let me take off or add anything as I received my VIN a month ago but I thought I'd give it a shot. If they can sneakily add features, I think they deserve some sneakiness back. I do feel bad for others that seem to have a completely different communication experience than I have been with their DS.

I just got back from the Palo Alto location. Thats where the car was located. It's now the floor show car. I did ask my sales advisor if my order would have the new features, at first it was unclear. However, in the end, he did get a confirmation that my car will have the "new features you're looking for." He wasn't willing to be specific maybe because there were other customers there with another sales rep and maybe he didn't want to hurt the other sales' chances of making an immediate sale.

Regardless, the decision has been made, I'll be waiting for my delivery. Now begs the question, should I ask if i can change my color to the new Red or keep the white?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i forgot to add, the sales advisor did say they're backed up in the factory and he hopes they can catch up. Just a bit of info for people waiting on their cars.

Last edited:
The Multicoat Red is New? I have seen it around for as long I have have been interested.
I do hear there is a new darker metallic grey color... but I am confused about that being a fact.
I think you are making a good decision to wait for the car the way you want it and with the new sensors... there is nothing like waiting for a new car... the days go by so slooooowwwww.

BTW what color are you ordering outside and in on the S85P+ ?

Best Wishes, Art

As tempting as a fast confirmation is in order to expedite when you get your car, I'd definitely advise those w/down payments to be sure they are VERY comfortable with their configuration before confirming, as no request for change after that is guaranteed, and they often ARE refused.

Good advice but if you do want a change after confirming, it's doesn't hurt to try. I added the cold weather package one month after confirming. They told me they couldn't guarantee anything when I made the request, which I understood, but they did get it added, and I'm really glad I made that change.