Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a pop-up today saying 'Congratulations! Your maps have been updated' (not word for word, but that's basically what it said).
The maps definitely were updated, as a road I know has been changed is now properly reflected.

Looking forward to them here. The municipalities in my neck of the woods have been going crazy putting in "Roundabouts" (personally, I hate them) and the Tesla nav gets confused when I come across them. (i.e. tells me to turn left, but I actually have to enter the roundabout going right, then circle around and exit on the street to the left).

Hmm. I thought the maps were continuously updated on google maps. I guess it's data stored on the car
It's both. Navigon (Garmin) maps in the instrument cluster, which work both on and offline. Google maps on the center display, which only works when online.

My Model S is never on WiFi, so presumably I miss out on the map updates, which the release notes said are distributed via Wi-Fi only. :crying:

Hmm. I thought the maps were continuously updated on google maps. I guess it's data stored on the car

I think the Google maps are, but the navigation maps are stored locally. Some of the new roundabouts that I mentioned in my post above do show up on the Google map, but the navigation map on the dash display (and corresponding audio prompts) still shows the old traditional intersection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came out to the car after work and had map updates. Unsure if routing is part of that, but I plotted a course for home, and as before, it took me a very circuitous route. I'm sure there's improvements in there, but that's my first experience with it.