Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to keep car on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this is in the archives. I have been an owner for four months and
unable to locate a thread on this issue.
How do I keep the car ON when I get out for a quick stop in the coffee shop?
The family would like to keep the radio, AC, and other items on.

thank you

I'm anxious to find this out as well. I just got my car last Friday and the only way I've read is to leave one of the dang doors open. There HAS to be a way to do this ... wait a minute, the glovebox doesn't have a lock, there's no way to set a code to keep someone from turning off the Mobile Phone Remote Access (like a thief or valet) so maybe there ISN'T a way to do this ... LOL!!!! geez... some of the most basic things were missed .... but I still Luv my S :)

Two options:
1) Have someone touch the main display after you exit the vehicle (after it has turned off). You have 5-10 seconds to tap the screen, and if you do so the vehicle will turn back on.
2) Put the car in neutral and manually engage the parking brake using the touchscreen. You can now exit the vehicle and it will remain on with no user intervention at all.

I apologize if this is in the archives. I have been an owner for four months and
unable to locate a thread on this issue.
How do I keep the car ON when I get out for a quick stop in the coffee shop?
The family would like to keep the radio, AC, and other items on.

thank you

Put the car in Neutral instead of park and use the big parking brake button in the Car Controls menu. This will also prevent the door handles from presenting (putting the car in park does present the door handles).

Gizmotoy wins frist psot :)

Last edited:
To keep the car on; you can:

1) Shut to the driver side or passenger side front door to only the first click, and the car will stay on indefinitely.

2) Put the car in Neutral + Set the Parking Break (from the touch screen), only works if the car IS NOT charging.

3) Use VisableTesla and schedule an event to occur every 30 minutes.

Last edited:
If even you're sitting in the driver's seat with the car in park, it will shut off after 30 minutes unless you tap the brake or use the touchscreen every 29ish minutes. The car doesn't care if the FOB is inside it or not, or if you're in a seat or not. See my post above, currently those are the only known ways to keep the car on.

To keep the car on; you can:

1) Shut to the driver side or passenger side front door to only the first click, and the car will stay on indefinitely.

2) Put the car in Park+Neutral, only works if the car IS NOT charging.

3) use VisableTesla and schedule an event to occur every 30 minutes.

So, when charging, the only way is the trick with the door?

This is quite a helpful thread. One time we fell asleep in the car and wanted the AC to run indefinitely, but it obviously shut off after 30 minutes. In this case Visible Tesla probably could have helped us here (will have to try that).. Haven't tried the door thing but would want to make sure no burglars/spiders can get in while the door is in this position (especially spiders :p ).

Also, in my own experience, occasionally I get back into the car as a passenger while the driver is gone and I can't turn on the screen, or if the driver left and I forgot to press screen in time.... (I may not be remembering this 100% accurately) --> I've found that pushing my hand onto the driver's seat (where his butt would go) turns everything back on (the car thinks the driver sat down again).