Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Paramus, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
photos from 10/26/14

IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0570 compress.jpg
IMG_0573 compress.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

location.jpg

There was no sign of exterior parking lot work for a supercharger.

The corner of the building nearest Route 17 has been opened from ground to roof. There are additional I-beams in front of building.

Two large openings have been added to the side of the building facing the parking lot. I assume these will be for the service and delivery areas.

There was was a supply of sheet rock in what I believe will be the showroom area (rt 17 side)

There was no sign of exterior parking lot work for a supercharger.

The corner of the building nearest Route 17 has been opened from ground to roof. There are additional I-beams in front of building.

Two large openings have been added to the side of the building facing the parking lot. I assume these will be for the service and delivery areas.

There was was a supply of sheet rock in what I believe will be the showroom area (rt 17 side)

Most Showrooms and Service Centers at least have some outside HPWC's. Some have Superchargers, but remember there are some 60's without Supercharging enabled.

If and when you see trenching in or next to the parking lot, Supercharger Pedestals need 3" conduit from the Charging Cabinet, a Mobile Supercharger needs a 3" conduit from the building's circuit breakers, and HPWC's need 1" conduit feeding them from the circuit breakers. The difference should be obvious.

more photos

here is what the building looked like before construction on Tesla project
a.jpg

aerial map shows next property north is connected to another property which has an existing bridge over stream. This will allow access to Paramus Park mall on foot without too much walking along Rt 17 shoulder( just a quick jump over the adjacent shopping area).

b.jpg

here are the current offerings of the immediately adjacent shopping area
c.JPG

assumed showroom area

10.JPG

new beams to be installed.
9.JPG

sheetrock and perhaps insulation or ceiling tiles?
8.JPG

middle door
5.JPG

rear door
4.JPG

entrance road heading toward loading dock area
0.JPG

loading dock area
1.JPG

trailer is for "Master Electrical Systems"
2.JPG

3.JPG

Most Showrooms and Service Centers at least have some outside HPWC's. Some have Superchargers, but remember there are some 60's without Supercharging enabled.

If and when you see trenching in or next to the parking lot, Supercharger Pedestals need 3" conduit from the Charging Cabinet, a Mobile Supercharger needs a 3" conduit from the building's circuit breakers, and HPWC's need 1" conduit feeding them from the circuit breakers. The difference should be obvious.

From this article, there are supposed to be 7 HPWC and 3 superchargers (which I read as 6 charging stalls):
Paramus Tesla service center, showroom gets green light - Business - NorthJersey.com

I wonder if these will be mobile supercharger installations or the traditional trenched approach.

Yes, I also agree that it will be a great addition to the area. While I don't expect to do nearly as many miles as I do in Colorado during my visit to the area later this year, it will be nice to juice up once or twice on something better than the HPWCs at GSP or 120v outlets at my family's place.

For those more familiar with the area, if there was a supercharger site here, would it be a pretty useful site? Is this a corridor that could really benefit from a supercharger?

You bet. There is a large center island service center along the Garden State Pkwy between Paramus and Nanuet NY, which has long been a favorite of ours when bypassing NYC via the Tappan Zee bridge and I287. This location in Paramus is even better in that it is at the nexus of I80 and the Garden State, also connecting via NJ17 to I87 north.

For those more familiar with the area, if there was a supercharger site here, would it be a pretty useful site? Is this a corridor that could really benefit from a supercharger?
Absolutely. I would have used Paramus this Saturday if it'd been live. Philly -> Poughkeepsie included a 100 mile each way run between Edison & Poughkeepsie. Perfectly workable in an 85 with the nice weather we had, although I drove slower on the way up just to be safe, since I wasn't familiar with the route.

I wouldn't recommend Edison -> Albany in a 60 during the winter, as it's 168 miles, which leaves you very little buffer @ 65 MPH and 32 degrees or below. But Paramus -> Albany is only 135 miles, which should be very practical.

Not to say that Carlisle PA (or where ever the Harrisburg Supercharger ends up) won't be a bigger impact... Pittsburg to NYC via Hagerstown, MD is a major detour compared to Harrisburg then Allentown. But Paramus will still be much appreciated when open...

I have been through that area now on Thursday and Friday at about 6:30 PM they have huge spotlights up about 15-20 feet and the have dug a huge hole near the grassy center island in the lot. From what I can see it appears to the Rte. 17 side and has (8) eight parking spaces facing 17. It also looks to have a trench dug to the building. I am Southbound in the evening stuck in major traffic looking at this.

Photos from Sunday 11/16

construction fence area has been expanded.
Supercharger conduit has been installed. Stall charger frames are nearby.
Stalls will be located on side of triangle away from Rt 17 and away from entrance. Should allow charger traffic to stay separate from gallery and service traffic.
IMG_0843.JPG

other angle.jpg
stall parts.jpg