Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Bendgate' - does this sound familiar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the iPhone 6 Plus easy to bend? Video says yes

I am not by any means an Apple fanboy - but this latest series of FUD surrounding the Apple iPhone 6 launch, along with the latest release of iOS 8 sounds a bit too familiar.

To complete the story - will we next hear Tim Cook announcing all iPhone 6's will be retrofitted with a titanium back?

Then we will be able to fit the iPhone 6 in our back pockets and sit on it without fear! :smile:

It seems like the iPhone 6 Plus has a weak spot just under the volume button. And the core problem is that the aluminum doesn't bend back (unlike the plastic Galaxy Note). So if you, for example, sat on your phone, it can be permanently bent.

This was not a problem with the iPhone 5 because it was smaller (which limits the amount of force you can apply to the middle via leverage) and the frame design probably stronger too.

Overall I feel this issue will affect less people than the the "antenna-gate", but it is certainly more visible.

More BS and FUD from AAPL stock shorters, Android fans who hate Apple and crooked media outlets who will do anything for page clicks.

blackberry.jpg
broken-evo-1.jpg
lumia925.jpg
1384733368814.jpg
sonyexperia.jpg

iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News

It seems like the iPhone 6 Plus has a weak spot just under the volume button

This was not a problem with the iPhone 5 because it was smaller (which limits the amount of force you can apply to the middle via leverage) and the frame design probably stronger too.

The iPhone 5 and 5S series actually did have some instances of bending near the volume buttons. The buttons are round, and the aluminum surrounding structure is a bit thin. That being said, this was not a common problem with the 5 and I don't expect the 6 to have a widespread issue either.

More BS and FUD from AAPL stock shorters, Android fans who hate Apple and crooked media outlets who will do anything for page clicks.

iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News

Apple also reported that the total number of reported bend incidents was 9. A total of nine out of 10 MILLION sold in the first week. My guess is that the few bending units were caused by random imperfections in the aluminum blocks from which the phone unibody structures are machined.

9 within how many days of launch though? The bending seems to be a durability problem that will certainly crop up more over time as people use their phones like regular smartphones and not glass ornaments.

Also the customer service with those who have had problems has been less than stellar from what I hear.

Couldn't 90 lbs of force be easily obtained by simply sitting? I also watched the original video of the guy bending it and in comparison, the Galaxy Note 3 did not bend at all while the iPhone bent easily. It's only a hit job IMO if the iPhone 5 bent as easily as the newer phone and yet it was not reported widely in the news.

90 lbs of force also does not address long term durability issues (the phone has been out what, 10 days?)

If it is weak it would bend. Wouldn't matter how old it is. Don't think there is anything to this either.

Phones definitely get a lot of use, and when you bring it everywhere you go, put it in your purse, backpack, pants pocket, drop it, whatever - it's going to get wear and tear. Durability of a portable device that is $600 should be one of their top priorities in designing and engineering the thing IMO. But then again, I keep my phones for 3+ years, whereas some people I know just go out and buy the next thing as soon as it comes out.

I guess we'll just have to see how they hold up over time.

But then again, I keep my phones for 3+ years, whereas some people I know just go out and buy the next thing as soon as it comes out.

If you're on a contract (or are out of contract, but still on the pricing for a contract), you should be upgrading your cell phone as often as the cell provider will let you. Get your old phone unlocked to work with "any" carrier, upgrade your phone, and then sell the old phone to cover the purchase of the new phone. If you're on a contract (you got a discounted phone purchase price - an iPhone for $200 instead of $600), then you're already paying for the phone upgrade. If you don't upgrade your phone frequently, you're just "wasting" money paying the higher monthly price when you sign up for a contract.

Consumer's Report ran a test on the 6+, and determined that it required 90 lbs of force to bend it.

Sounds like a hit job to me.

As others put it, 90 lbs can easily be applied just by sitting. But I don't think a standardized test (with the force applied right in the middle) will necessarily show what will happen in the real world. The weak point seems to be the volume button area, which is 1/3 to 1/4 of the way, not in the middle.

They also found the iPhone 6 was most bendable in the test, which does not match the incidents (with the iPhone 6 Plus being the one most affected).

Last edited:
I'd better wait that Apple fixes this "bendgate" issue before to buy the Iphone 6.

The whole "bendghazi" thing is overblown. However, last night I stopped by the Apple store in Palo Alto to check out the iPhone 6 and 6+ in person to see whether I just Had To Have One. Honestly... meh. I like the iPhone 5S better. The iPhone 6+ is more of a phablet, which is a different category. The iPhone 6 is a normal phone that differs from the 5S in three main ways: wider (bad, because thumb can't reach across screen), thinner (bad, because it means less battery life), and rounded edges (bad, because it's less grippy). Supposedly the camera is much improved, and the 5S was already quite good. I'd still take an iPhone 6 over the competition because of personal preference for the iOS software platform. But to me, the 5S was a better hardware platform as well, whereas the 6 feels more like a Galaxy knockoff.

So I won't be buying a 6 or 6+, but not because I was hoping for a slab of titanium.

oo a titanium phone would be suh-weet.

Also, +1 for "Bendghazi", omg.

I think that any mobile phone made of thin metal will bend, no matter what the specific metal.

The problem for Apple is that they've convinced many customers that a premium phone has metal (and is thin). Plastic is viewed as "junk" even though IMO it is a far more appropriate material for an electronic device that routinely experiences rough treatment. The iPhone 5C has a plastic case that can take a tremendous beating, yet it received much scorn for the plastic exterior.

If the iPhone 6 design had been up to me, it would be like the iPhone 5C: Plastic unibody with steel reinforcing brackets that are also the radio antennas. I would have gone with a matte rather than glossy surface though in order to improve surface grip. I would also have held the line on thinness and opted for a mega battery and flush camera module instead. This would have resulted in a more durable phone with incredible battery life. Alas, the customers don't want plastic, and I'm not Jony Ive, LOL.

Apple PR responds to #bendgate... by retracting popular magazines privileges - Neowin

Hopefully this doesn't become the norm with Tesla as well (they've been known to be a bit catty)

This appears to have been an action by Apple's German office. It's not clear to me that Cupertino approved the ban, although it would not surprise me.