Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla expands in HK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yes they are recruiting and building up the network in Hong Kong, good young team and enthusiastic, however few things to watch for:

1. We charge more frequently due to City driving condition (Traffic and Aircon all the time) -
The article saying HK is small therefore we can charge once a week is too idealistic. Mind you we neither charge to 100% nor run it till flat, so the "usable" kWh maybe is 50 for a 85. On average we can get 250-270Wh/km therefore we need to charge every 180-200km, so I would say at most 3 days.

2. Charging Infrastructure is still underdeveloped -
9 out of 10 of my friends love MS when they touch, see and drive my car. Most of them will switch to EV, however they all concern about how to charge the car. In HK most people living in high rise estates with carpark in the complex. I spent 2 years to get my charger approved and installed in my OWN PARKING BAY, if you rent one you'll have more trouble. Main issue here is the majority of estates do not have such set up, both hardware and software (people running property management and owners association). Most newly built would have the facility though, still minority.

There are about 100 7kW chargers scattering around HK in public car park and increasing, however the public carpark management would not care whether the spot being occupied by ICE car.

3. Government Policy
The government do have policy to support EV, but the efficiency and execution are questionable. They cannot force anyone to let you install the charger, only can remind them it is beneficial to do so. The HK government is handicapped by a bunch of politicians anyway.

I agree HK can be the best showcase and is ideal place for EV, however we need someone to help pushing, not the product or any EV, but the infrastructure, policy and SOLUTION. Everyone knows EV is a trend and good for environment, people just feel helpless when they find out they need to fight for the chargers.

I really hope Tesla can push this forward.. I'm have some shares afterall ;)

Thanks. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they are recruiting and building up the network in Hong Kong, good young team and enthusiastic, however few things to watch for:

1. We charge more frequently due to City driving condition (Traffic and Aircon all the time) -
The article saying HK is small therefore we can charge once a week is too idealistic. Mind you we neither charge to 100% nor run it till flat, so the "usable" kWh maybe is 50 for a 85. On average we can get 250-270Wh/km therefore we need to charge every 180-200km, so I would say at most 3 days.

2. Charging Infrastructure is still underdeveloped -
9 out of 10 of my friends love MS when they touch, see and drive my car. Most of them will switch to EV, however they all concern about how to charge the car. In HK most people living in high rise estates with carpark in the complex. I spent 2 years to get my charger approved and installed in my OWN PARKING BAY, if you rent one you'll have more trouble. Main issue here is the majority of estates do not have such set up, both hardware and software (people running property management and owners association). Most newly built would have the facility though, still minority.

There are about 100 7kW chargers scattering around HK in public car park and increasing, however the public carpark management would not care whether the spot being occupied by ICE car.

3. Government Policy
The government do have policy to support EV, but the efficiency and execution are questionable. They cannot force anyone to let you install the charger, only can remind them it is beneficial to do so. The HK government is handicapped by a bunch of politicians anyway.

I agree HK can be the best showcase and is ideal place for EV, however we need someone to help pushing, not the product or any EV, but the infrastructure, policy and SOLUTION. Everyone knows EV is a trend and good for environment, people just feel helpless when they find out they need to fight for the chargers.

I really hope Tesla can push this forward.. I'm have some shares afterall ;)

Here's hoping Tesla's new HK manager gets the feedback from this forum and carries the fight forward. :smile: