Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mojio Car Diagnostic Port Device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
I am a very satisfied OVMS device user in my Roadster so I really do not need this, but this caught my eye this morning. It is a device similar to OVMS that purports to plug into any car's diagnostic port (1996 and later), and gives the car two-way connectivity through the AT&T cell network and smartphone apps: http://www.moj.io/

Would this work in a Roadster, or is the Roadster diagnostic port connection different than other cars? I will try it in my wife's (non-Tesla) car to start once it is shipped (it looks like it might be "black box" or vaporware for now). OVMS has given me an appreciation of what these types of devices might be able to do.

This device is unlike the OVMS in that it does not have a GSM Sim chip, instead relying on an uplink to the company that you need to pay for month after month.

OVMS does up to a server also, but we can real-time contact it for free.

I would perhaps like the MOJIO if it allowed an option to insert my own SIM without a monthly charge.

Best,

T

I'm fairly certain I saw that it does have GSM and uses AT&T network and thus the $5 monthly charge (first year free).

I'll listen to their ad again to make sure.

EDIT:

Yup, I remembered correctly. AT&T in US, and Telus in Canada.

Having said that, I'm tempted to buy one but still need be sure it'll work with Roadster.

This device is unlike the OVMS in that it does not have a GSM Sim chip, instead relying on an uplink to the company that you need to pay for month after month.

OVMS does up to a server also, but we can real-time contact it for free.

I would perhaps like the MOJIO if it allowed an option to insert my own SIM without a monthly charge.

Best,

T

Last edited: