Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the trunk's right storage bin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reaching around in the trunk of a service loaner after grocery shopping, I discover that the right cubby hole in the trunk is ... missing!

Occupying this space is a boxy shape implying something stored inside.
This loaner is a MS 85, around 2000 miles - probably not more than a month old.

What is inside that mysterious bump?

PS No the MS doesn't have any extra sensors on fenders or added camera on the rear mirror.

IMG_5868.JPG

There used t be a bin in that area? My MS85 was delivered last Friday and there is simply a large hole that can be used for storage. However, the hole is open on one side so that things placed in there can roll into the center storage area that is under the cargo cover (space where kids legs would go if I had 3rd row seating.) I would love to know if a storage bin was supposed to be included as it would certainly make more sense.

'Pocket' might be a better description, and there is a matching one on the driver's side. Both are open to the central 'trunk' area.

Apparently the loaner has a box replacing the usual pocket on the passenger side. Still a mystery.
--

I believe the subwoofer is placed there if you have the "Studio Sound Package" or whatever they're calling it now.
Right. From memory I'm pretty sure mine looks like that (I have the audio package). That area houses the subwoofer. If you open up the lower storage area you can (carefully) stick your hand over in that direction and feel the subwoofer below the upper trunk floor.

Sorry that's what I meant - a hole on the just like that on the left. Exactly as you described it. Not a 'bin'.

I don't have my own car back yet, so I cannot take a picture of that.

But here is the storage area on the left from the service car, which is the mirror image of the right storage area in my car.
IMG_5869.1.jpg

To additional comments added since my post:

Yeah pocket hole is a better description of the original space. But I can't edit the thread title.

Yes I suspected it may be a subwoofer for the Premium sound option. But wouldn't one see this differentiation in the controls in the car? I didn't see anything different in the equalizer/fade controls screen.

Last edited:
Yes I suspected it maybe a subwoofer of sorts for the Premium sound option. But wouldn't one see this difference from the controls in the car? I didn't see anything different in the equalizer/fade controls screen.
There's no obvious "You have premium sound!" indicators. You could look for the Dolby Surround On/Off switch, or the presence of the XM tab, both of which are UHFS option exclusives.

Or just shove your hand down there to check for the speaker :)

Man, this thread is no fun.
I was certain I'd solved it: in that you already had told us the car is a loaner, it was pretty obvious they'd lent out the cavity.