Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Philly Owners, snow tires or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my S85, 19 inch wheels, delivered on Monday. Just wanted to hear from all you Philadelphia area owners (Main Line specifically), about whether or not to get snow tires. For those that had there vehicles during our brutal last winter, how did you make out? Would you get snow tires? Are you getting snow tires? Any and all comments are appreciated.

No. I did just fine driving all around people that were getting stuck on unplowed roads with the stock 19" goodyears as did many other local owners. even drove past a yukon and a pickup truck that got stuck in the middle of the road. they were looking at me like 'WTF?!?!' as I drove around them with no problems. lol I don't think we live in a climate that necessitates winter tires. (if you were driving on the 21s though YES you would definitely need a second set of winter tires as those tires explicitly state they were not for winter snow driving, aka summer tires = time to slide and crash!!).

that being said, this winter's probably going to suck like the last one. so winter tires might actually be useful. they are better than all-seasons, I don't think anybody will disagree with that. But even despite as much as I drive, I still don't plan on changing out to winter tires.

On the 19" Michelins in our 85 we did just fine this year without them. The stability/traction control on the Tesla is impressive. I drove around afew times in a couple inches of snow without any issue.

That being said, alot of it comes down to your expectations and your experience. You're not going to be cruising through a foot of snow with all seasons. An inch or two is no problem. Also, I'm not a doctor or anything, if the schools are closed, I stay home.

I had 19" Michelins this winter in the DC area and I found them noticeably worse than the OE Goodyears. Had one harrowing drive where I just could not get traction driving very slowly on a highway (65mph road) in abnormally cold conditions (teens) where the road had a coating of ice with active snow falling. While driving about 20-25mph the car wanted to drift frequently and on an incline I had a point where I lost all traction, had to stop, reverse and continue up the hill again (on a 4 lane highway with other travelers was not real fun). Fortunately I escaped without any damage and I am now strongly considering winter tires for this year (and yes before you ask why I am driving in bad road conditions I'm an Emergency Physician and can't decide to stay home when the weather sucks). I am also considering the tire chains for the rare day in the mid-Atlantic states when conditions are truly bad.