Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent Bluetooth disconnects with v6.0 (15) and iPhone 6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got version 6.0 and a new iPhone (also 6!). After pairing my phone (and doing the calendar thing), the media performance is really bad. The phone will start/stop playing and the car (or the phone?) will disconnect from bluetooth entirely. It will reappear in the list and I can select it again, but this happens every minute or so. Is anyone else experiencing this? I realize there are a lot of changed variables at once here.

That thread seemed focus on calling (indeed one reply stated music worked fine, it was calling that wasn't working). My problem is with media.

that is interesting. I have the exact opposite issue as you. My music streaming works flawlessly. Only phone calls have issue, but it drops every 30-40 seconds like your audio, and I have to reselect the Model S as an audio source.

Just got version 6.0 and a new iPhone (also 6!). After pairing my phone (and doing the calendar thing), the media performance is really bad. The phone will start/stop playing and the car (or the phone?) will disconnect from bluetooth entirely. It will reappear in the list and I can select it again, but this happens every minute or so. Is anyone else experiencing this? I realize there are a lot of changed variables at once here.
Having the exact same issue. What's really odd is my wife and I are noticing a similar issue with our Leaf, even when its connected via USB. The phone "disconnects" and reconnects, even when playing music through the USB connection. It seems that whenever the phone is buffering music over the cellular data connection, it seems to disconnect, then reconnect. And similar thing seems happening with the Tesla via BT. Both mine and my wife's iPhone 6's.

Mine suddenly started doing this this morning. Streaming a Podcast, then all of a sudden it would stop, and when I check the car is initializing the bluetooth. Did it ~4 times during a 20 minute drive, I reported the bug via the voice recognition. Until today, the Model S and my iPhone 6 Plus have worked flawlessly together.

I know, but the issues I'm having seem to be with the car, unless the bluetooth stack is so screwed up it has the capability to force the Model S to reinitialize Bluetooth each time (I guess it could be though). And, it's been fine for a week, just started today, though I know that is one of the 'features' of the iOS 8 bug. I rebooted the center screen, so will so how it does later.

This may help. Mine is fine.

Read the cautions before attempting.

http://www.cultofmac.com/298280/fix-bluetooth-connectivity-car-ios-8-0-2-broke/

I saw that option, but at this point I'm not too inclined to experiment anymore -- I did that with a flaky Audible update and it lost a ton of statistics on my listening that I found very useful.

On the other hand, if Apple doesn't get the fix out soon, I may give the reset a whirl.

Well, I'm now on 8.1, and hoping it's resolved the issue. I'll find out for sure on my drive home later, so far so good. Typically I'd drop the audio stream 4-5 times in a 20 minute ride, and a quick test at lunch seemed to show it stay connected for around 10 minutes. I forgot the car first (from the iPhone/Bluetooth menu), figured a clean start would be the best option.

Well, I'm now on 8.1, and hoping it's resolved the issue. I'll find out for sure on my drive home later, so far so good. Typically I'd drop the audio stream 4-5 times in a 20 minute ride, and a quick test at lunch seemed to show it stay connected for around 10 minutes. I forgot the car first (from the iPhone/Bluetooth menu), figured a clean start would be the best option.

Still good, not a single loss of the audio stream over a period of about 90 minutes and multiple drives.

What are others experiencing with iOS8.1 and Bluetooth? I've been putting off updating to iOS8 until I hear the connection issues with the car have been resolved.

8.1 also resolved the issue for my on my iPhone 6. I did have a problem today while playing music over Bluetooth. Accidentally triggered Siri and it caused the Bluetooth to get in a weird state that required a reboot of the large in-car display. I did this while driving and it toggled the steering preference out and back into sport mode which was unexpected.

Other than this the constant disconnect issue appears to be resolved.

So both my wife' sand my iPhones are having consistent issues with bluetooth. we're on the .43 variant of 6.0. We had it iOS 8.0, 8.0.2, and now 8.1.

What I noticed is that when the phone draws data via LTE, the Bluetooth connection seems to drop. I first noticed it streaming music via Spotify. If I have the playlist downloaded on my phone,it wouldn't have any issues. But when I am truly streaming music via the LTE connection on my phone, it would disconnect. But here's what I do to recreate it fairly consistently:

Connect the iPhone and stream music from a music app, like Spotify. Then, open the "Speedtest" app on the phone and run a test. Somewhere during the test, the bluetooth will disconnect, momentarily disappear, then re-appear. But I have to manually select it to start the music back up.

Can't say if it's the iphones, iOS or the Tesla. But as I said, it happens on both phones.