Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth lack of reliability; hopes for something better...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using bluetooth with an iPhone to listen to music / podcasts and take phone calls for over a year now (iPhone 5s and now 6). And as much as I love my Tesla like one of my children (ha ha) I have to say that this is the one area where it performs more poorly than my old car with the simple dock and audio line-in.

1) Bluetooth connects very slowly about 20% of the time and not at all about 5-10% of the time. I almost always end up hitting the input source or play button multiple times trying to determine if it's going to connect.

2) Siri does not work well (at all really) in the car when connected by bluetooth. I did some experiments to try to determine if Siri is listening through the car mic or the phone mic but in either case something is not right.. Even when everything is quiet Siri has a hard time understanding for no apparent reason.

3) Currently when I attempt to use Siri while bluetooth is connected what happens is that it switches output to the phone and then completely locks up bluetooth. I had to perform multiple resets of the phone and console to get it to reconnect.

I am really hoping Tesla will support Carplay... My phone is always plugged into the car anyway... why not have a reliable connection...

In the interim if anyone has any tips on making the iPhone more reliable in the car please let me know.

thanks,
Pat

Tried a hard reset? BT can be flakey, but I haven't experienced anything to those extremes yet.

I still remember Elon once saying that Tesla would have the best iPod/Phone integration around (something along the lines of it would be shameful if they didn't). 2 years later and we're still in the stone age.

I have very few issues with media streaming, but phone calls consistently fail after 30-45 seconds, the sound quality just degraded until the car drops the phone complete. The call continues on the phone, and then the car wakes up and steals it back, and then the dance starts over again. It's annoying and unsafe, but the SC has not been able to reproduce it, and I'm OK not taking calls when driving (mostly). I can reproduce it on my wifes phone and mine (both iPhones), so I'm waiting to see if the iPhone 6 resolves the issue, otherwise it'll be back to the SC.

In 14 months of driving the Model S every day I've never had Bluetooth take more than a few seconds to make the connection with my iPhone.

Are you using the phone for music / podcasts or just for phone calls?

I have not experienced many problems with phone calls but I am listening to music or podcasts pretty much all the time in the car (and that is where I experience the problems).

Pat

My Model S was delivered in December 2012 and the Bluetooth feature has never worked well with my iPhone (5 and 5s). Even crappy rental cars I would rent from time to time worked perfectly with my iPhone Bluetooth, recognizing when I got an out of the car and automatically playing music. With my tesla Bluetooth would disconnect quite often and the phone would have to be within a foot or two of the console forward to reconnect. The worst part is that I was never able to use Siri.

I picked up my iPhone 6 on Friday and so far it is several orders of magnitude better. I can use Siri now when it is connected to teslas Bluetooth. It's not as fast And only slightly annoying. The "hey siri" feature is bad add and great when you're driving (and really the only proper use for this).

The connection problem still exist, and the car doesn't seem to recognize when I get in out of the car...

Still, a huge improvement!

Up to last week, my iPhone 5 on iOS7 worked flawlessly with BT on my S. Since getting my iPhone 6 and iOS8 a couple of days ago, not so much. Delayed BT connection, delayed Calendar display, need to reboot MCU & instrument display a couple of times and cycle BT off-on on my iPhone 6. Not great...but I wonder if it is iOS as others are complaining as well.