Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, first post! I'm strongly considering the Model S...

I saw this from June, 2014:

"[FONT=Candara, Lucida Sans, Lucida Grande, Verdana]The production Model S will soon come off the line with improved front seats. "The seats should be more comfortable," said Musk. A modified spring force in the cushion will allow the driver to sink lower into the seat. The new seat is designed so it can be retrofitted to older cars. Musk also said that a second, more comprehensive seat upgrade is about a year away."[/FONT]

[FONT=Candara, Lucida Sans, Lucida Grande, Verdana]Has Tesla released any changes to it's seats since June? Also, regarding the comprehensive seat upgrade, will Tesla do it mid-year or do they tend to follow the traditional auto model year structure when releasing new options?

Best and thanks!

[/FONT]

I had a loaner about 2 weeks ago where the VIN was in the mid 36,000's. I have a broken tailbone and find the seat in my early VIN 8XXX car to be painful within 5 minutes of sitting in the car. The seat in the VIN 36,XXX was vastly superior and did not hurt my tailbone.

Tesla did the retrofit to my seat, but it is not equal to what is currently shipping with the car. I looked into buying a new seat, bu the part number for the seat is the same as the original seat. I am not willing to spend $2800 for a new seat to then discover it is the original seat and not the current modified seat. Tesla could not guarantee which replacement seat would be shipped as the part numbers are identical.

Tesla needs ventilated & cooled leather seats with much better lateral support so you're not flung from side to side.

Never had a car with cooled seats before, but after driving my MS through a complete Texas summer, I have rarely gotten out of the car without a sweaty back and wet clothes, so I see the value in it now!

I am currently driving a Mercedes S and the seats are great (now, the car's no Tesla of course!). It does have heated and ventilated seats which is nice... (heated is more important than ventilated, IMHO). I'd really like to have something close in the Tesla. The current seats may be good enough but it's hard to tell in a 30 minute test drive.

It sounds like they have added the short term improvements that Elon discussed in the article. I'm guessing there are more changes coming sometime in 2015...

Elon Musk Talks Tesla Model X Details, Model S Upgrades, At Europe Q+A Sessions

In one of the interviews (I believe it was Belgian meet with owners and investors) earlier this year Elon said that there are going to be 2 seat changes: first, as @swegman mentioned above, was supposed to happen around spring 2014 and it was supposed to make the seat a bit softer. The second update was "a year away" and supposedly it's going to be a completely different seat, hopefully with bigger side bolsters. Both versions are (going to be) retrofittable, according to that interview.

It is understood (several threads here) that the first update can be done by removing some of the springs from the seat. I asked my Service Center to do that. They looked into it and came back saying that my seats are already the updated model (see VIN below), so nothing can be done to them. At the end of the day I got used to them: I find they provide adequate side support (or maybe I'm grabbing the steering wheel tighter, IDK). However, I would still like to sink deeper into the seat or position the seat lower: I'm 6'2" and my eye position is a bit too high for my taste.

I had a loaner about 2 weeks ago where the VIN was in the mid 36,000's. I have a broken tailbone and find the seat in my early VIN 8XXX car to be painful within 5 minutes of sitting in the car. The seat in the VIN 36,XXX was vastly superior and did not hurt my tailbone.

Tesla did the retrofit to my seat, but it is not equal to what is currently shipping with the car. I looked into buying a new seat, bu the part number for the seat is the same as the original seat. I am not willing to spend $2800 for a new seat to then discover it is the original seat and not the current modified seat. Tesla could not guarantee which replacement seat would be shipped as the part numbers are identical.

I've had a loaner car for about a week now VIN 44xxx and also noticed the seat was more comfortable. I asked my service adviser if they were the new seats but he said he thought they were the same. Asked him to check on how much the new seat would be. Thanks for sharing the info about cost and old seat part number. Will let you know if anything is different from when you checked.

The new seats are quite distinctive (shipping with the P85D) in their looks.

I learned that there was an upgrade sometime in 2014 from what had been shipping. More padding, etc. but they looked and were contoured very similarly to what had been shipping. Hope this helps.

I'm certain we'll start seeing lots of new posts and info in early December as the new D gets delivered... My delivery is tentatively scheduled for 12/26...

Driving in my P85 a year now and have no complains about the original Performance seats.

I have stored 2 driving posistions - one for normal driving, and one for a more relaxing postion.
If Im on a long trip, I can once in a while switch between then by a single toutch.