Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Owners: Any Front License Plate Failures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past year plus, I've read here about a number of different approaches owners have taken to mounting their front license plates. I am curious if anyone has experienced a front license plate failure of some kind (e.g. fell off or loosened, audible vibrations, inadvertantly cause damage to another part of the car, etc.). If so, I would be very interested in your story. Thanks!

On my first car I used the rare-earth magnet attachment method (a crude, early technique, indeed). While the plate always held strong, I did have some scratching on the nose cone behind the plate--so I wouldn't recommend it. (Install wasn't trivial, either).

My next car comes in a month. I will be using the j-hook attachment method.

I used the Show-N-Go purchased on Amazon. It was simple to install, and clever. However, before I mounted my front cam, I could not see how close I was to parking curbs. After the second Show-N-Go was torn off the underside of the car by the parking curbs, I opted to not put a front plate back on. So far a year and have not been caught yet (without the front plate.)

There's possibly the option to do nothing. Just passed a year without and no ticket.

Prior car 12 years, one ticket (because I was probably slightly exceeding the speed limit but did not get clocked - and got a retaliatory no-plate fix-it ticket instead).

I consider it sort of a tax.

I have the Torklift solution sitting on my family room table waiting for my plate to come. When I first moved to Washington and had Kansas plates I got stopped several times, so I'm not going to bother trying to avoid displaying a front plate. Now if Tesla and the Department of Licensing would get me plates...

Those solutions that put the plate lower down where it is in front of the lower grill, and not right on the "dog nose," will exist only for our older Model S cars, but will go away for new cars. The newest cars coming off the production line have a Driver Assistance camera in the front lower grill that it would be inadvisable to block

IMO we need a glass/clear plastic front to the dog nose, and a way to embed the licence plate inside it, behind the clear panel. That way it's right there on the front, but also maintains the aerodynamics of the car.

Slapping a vertical flat plate on the front of Franz von Holzhausen's design kinda ruins the Cd if you ask me.

OR - a way to "press" the license plate into a curved front, so that when it is attached to the front of the dog nose it assumes the exact rounded shape necessary to preserve the Cd.

Those solutions that put the plate lower down where it is in front of the lower grill, and not right on the "dog nose," will exist only for our older Model S cars, but will go away for new cars. The newest cars coming off the production line have a Driver Assistance camera in the front lower grill that it would be inadvisable to block

IMO we need a glass/clear plastic front to the dog nose, and a way to embed the licence plate inside it, behind the clear panel. That way it's right there on the front, but also maintains the aerodynamics of the car.

Slapping a vertical flat plate on the front of Franz von Holzhausen's design kinda ruins the Cd if you ask me.

OR - a way to "press" the license plate into a curved front, so that when it is attached to the front of the dog nose it assumes the exact rounded shape necessary to preserve the Cd.

M.A. I like your thinking. Tsportline has a thread here that begins with "You asked for it, we made it" where they are showing their chrome nosecone grill. I posted a reply asking Owners to comment on my idea of asking Tsportline to make an extended nosecone that would allow us to hide-a-plate from the bottom up inside along a track that would drop down when we needed to display it.

Would appreciate you folks to comment on your interest in such an animal. I've been writing all kinds of Tesla after market companies to build interest in a hide-a-plate-nosecone.

How about an even crazier idea - front license plate attached to part of the nose that only flips out at speeds below say 5MPH, so it shows when stopped or when parked.
When moving, the license plate flips back into nose and is replaced by the streamlined original nose profile thus preserving Cd and looks.

Perhaps a later software revision will geofence this so that the license plate also pops out every time you drive by a Highway patrol station :biggrin: