Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How "portable" is the HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condominium and am attempting to get the strata corporation (HOA for you Americans) to let me install an EV charger for my future Model S. I plan to move in a couple of years, so how easy is the HPWC to disconnect and transport after its installed?

The HPWC wouldn't add much resale value to the unit if only Tesla's could use it, so if its too much trouble to move, I might have to get a third party EV charger instead that is universal...

The HPWC is very easy to remove from the wall. Just a couple of screws to open the cover, remove the lugs holding the power cables coming in, and then a couple of screws to remove it from the wall plate. Then just remove the wall plate itself. Could probably removed in less than 10 minutes. Of course you have to deal with the wiring left over once you're done, but to get the HPWC off the wall and into your car to move it to a new location is easy.

I live in a condominium and am attempting to get the strata corporation (HOA for you Americans) to let me install an EV charger for my future Model S. I plan to move in a couple of years, so how easy is the HPWC to disconnect and transport after its installed?

The HPWC wouldn't add much resale value to the unit if only Tesla's could use it, so if its too much trouble to move, I might have to get a third party EV charger instead that is universal...

The work to wire it up would likely be more valuable than the charger. When you remove the HPWC, it'll be a circuit ready another high-amp charger, either single or dual headed.

Just an FYI. The worst part of install the HPWC (in my experience having done one this past weekend) is actually connecting the wiring to the charger itself. It's very tight in there and the lugs are just barely big enough for #2. The ground has plastic bits in the way of the bar. As others have told you removing it should be easy. But putting it back is going to be a hassle. Doesn't sound like that's a problem for your question but thought it was worth making that clear since others might wonder and find this thread based on your title.

Do you reeely need the quick turn-around that the HPWC offers? I have used a more than ample NEMA 14-30 for a 160-mile commute and now at 36K miles. Jus' sayin'....

Just an FYI. The worst part of install the HPWC (in my experience having done one this past weekend) is actually connecting the wiring to the charger itself. It's very tight in there and the lugs are just barely big enough for #2. The ground has plastic bits in the way of the bar.

I deployed an HPWC (for plugshare guests) utilizing 4AWG, 6AWG (ground) and it was a breeze into the lugs and then "dipped" it to 72A.

Good-Luck!