Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power mirror upgrade while replacing old (corrosion-prone) mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a power folding mirror upgrade while getting their older mirrors replaced because of the non-coated aluminum that corrodes and drips on the driver and passenger door.

My local SC has no problem doing the mirror replacement but only to the new non-corroding ones. They can't commit to upgrading to the power folding mirrors and having me pay the difference in parts cost.

Has anyone got any experience with this? I did search the forums but didn't find anything pertinent.

Thanks!

Rob

I replaceed manual folding mirrors with the power folding mirrors, but this was retrofit requested by me, and not related to the warranty work on the existing manual folding mirrors. Included below is breakdown in costs, just in case this information is useful. One thing to note, you have an early VIN, and I believe that your car probably came from the factory withou the wiring harness required for power folding windows. My car came with the harness, so breakdown below does not include it.

Concern: Customer states: retrofit of folding mirrors (aware of cost w/o harness)​
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 180.00​
Pay Type: Customer PayCorrections: Install Power Folding MirrorsCompleted installation and programming of folding mirrors (wiring harness were notneeded)​
Part Quantity Unit Price​
SWITCH, WINDOW, POWER FOLD, DRIVERLH (1028641-00-A)​
1.00​
192.00 192.00MIRROR, PREMIUM, POWERFOLD, RH(1025657-00-A)
1.00​
516.16 516.16MIRROR, PREMIUM, POWERFOLD, LH(1025658-00-A)
1.00​
516.16 516.16
Total Parts 1,224.32Parts Replaced or Added​
1,404.32​

• Helpful
Reactions: nikielizabeth
I replaceed manual folding mirrors with the power folding mirrors, but this was retrofit requested by me, and not related to the warranty work on the existing manual folding mirrors. Included below is breakdown in costs, just in case this information is useful. One thing to note, you have an early VIN, and I believe that your car probably came from the factory withou the wiring harness required for power folding windows. My car came with the harness, so breakdown below does not include it.

Concern: Customer states: retrofit of folding mirrors (aware of cost w/o harness)​
Pay Type: Customer PayCorrections: Install Power Folding MirrorsCompleted installation and programming of folding mirrors (wiring harness were notneeded)​
1.00​
1.00​
1.00​
516.16 516.16
1,404.32​

Hi @vg,

That's very useful information, thank you!

I definitely need the switch at $192, and I would have to pay the difference between regular mirrors and the folding (not sure what the regulars cost), and then the harness. I doubt very much I have the harness -- my car was built in Feb 2013...

Thanks for the info!

Rob

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a power folding mirror upgrade while getting their older mirrors replaced because of the non-coated aluminum that corrodes and drips on the driver and passenger door.

My local SC has no problem doing the mirror replacement but only to the new non-corroding ones. They can't commit to upgrading to the power folding mirrors and having me pay the difference in parts cost.

Oh, is a mirror replacement now an official fix for this? When I was in some months back and mentioned it, it was mostly-new to them at the time, and they said Tesla was looking into a fix (or something like that). If this is the official fix (???), I need to make an appointment.

Oh, is a mirror replacement now an official fix for this? When I was in some months back and mentioned it, it was mostly-new to them at the time, and they said Tesla was looking into a fix (or something like that). If this is the official fix (???), I need to make an appointment.
Yup. They will replace the mirrors now on warranty. My service center refuses to do the upgrade and discount me the warranty parts. :(

I would not expect any car company to do upgrades within warranty work and give a discount. Basically it would encourage people to break something on their car in order to get discount upgrades. Imagine if Tesla would let you upgrade a 60 to 85 if your battery happened to need replacement under warranty. People would be talking a taser to the BMS just so they could get a cheap upgrade!

Yup. They will replace the mirrors now on warranty. My service center refuses to do the upgrade and discount me the warranty parts. :(

NO they don't do mirror replacements for this. I just had mine in for this and they take apart the door, clean out the corrosion and apply some sort of filler (i'm assuming some type of expanding foam insulation) around the bare aluminum and leave the original mirror there. the corrosion has nothing to do with the mirror at all - it's the mounting bracket inside the door. they're not going to replace your mirror at all let alone upgrade you to the power folding mirrors. that makes no sense since it has nothing to do with the mirror itself.

It's all clear as mud now. ;-) Well, at least I know there is a resolution one way or another. I'm in no rush, but I'll drop a line to my SC at some point to make an appointment. I think I noticed some more of this tear track corrosion stuff on my doors again recently--time to look at it in the light of day and then call them.

NO they don't do mirror replacements for this. I just had mine in for this and they take apart the door, clean out the corrosion and apply some sort of filler (i'm assuming some type of expanding foam insulation) around the bare aluminum and leave the original mirror there. the corrosion has nothing to do with the mirror at all - it's the mounting bracket inside the door. they're not going to replace your mirror at all let alone upgrade you to the power folding mirrors. that makes no sense since it has nothing to do with the mirror itself.

Interesting... although you may be completely right (and it would make sense), the SC told me that I would have to re-wrap my mirrors because they change the whole thing.

My mirrors are XPEL wrapped too so that was my concern as well. But no worries as the fix does not include swapping the mirrors. First thing I did after the fix was inspect both mirrors to make sure they were still the originals and wrapped. (I didn't tell them that at all so it's not like I requested NOT to swap the mirrors). I don't know why your SC would say and do otherwise.

I confirmed with the service center again and they are sticking to the fact that they completely replace the mirrors and that I will have to get them rewrapped...

I'm going to have to check with Toronto, because I was led to believe otherwise. I had the car in for the big grey streaks down the side of the car (after washing in particular) and they told me at the time that a revised bracket was being developed that would be retrofitted on to the existing mirror. It was apparently already being deployed in Norway, but they told me the North American cars were to be retrofitted at a later date.

Now that was some time ago, so they may have determined that it is simply more cost-effective to swap the whole assembly.

Based on what zax123 was told very recently (it sounds like, within the past week or two), this seems amazingly likely. ;-)

Yeah, maybe they "learned" from the Norway experience. They told me the corroded bracket was being replaced with a new "coated" one in Europe and that's what they'd do here once they had the parts. Sometimes the labor hours (costs) simply outweigh a simpler remove and replace.

1.00​
1.00​
1.00​
516.16 516.16
1,404.32​

I too upgraded my mirror to folding mirrors.

I have my "hardly old (5 months old) non-folding mirrors if anyone is interested. Good deal. PM me.

- - - Updated - - -

I confirmed with the service center again and they are sticking to the fact that they completely replace the mirrors and that I will have to get them rewrapped...

Zax, what part of your mirror is wrapped? The painted outside shell? They don't replace that part. They use those after the mirror is replaced.

Zax, what part of your mirror is wrapped? The painted outside shell? They don't replace that part. They use those after the mirror is replaced.

I have all the chrome parts wrapped with either black or CF vinyl.

I specifically asked them if the outside parts will be replaced and I will have to re-wrap and they've now said yes twice. It's really quite surprising that the SC's do a TSB differently I find...

I have all the chrome parts wrapped with either black or CF vinyl.

I specifically asked them if the outside parts will be replaced and I will have to re-wrap and they've now said yes twice. It's really quite surprising that the SC's do a TSB differently I find...

Oooohhhh, now I get it. The chrome too, huh? Makes sense now about the rewrap issue.