Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone app crashes when connecting to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got Firmware 6.0 and a new iPhone (6) and now the iPhone app crashes every time it connects to the car. Does anybody else have this issue? A lot of new things introduced all at once, so I'm not sure which thing is the culprit (new iPhone, new version of the Tesla app and new version of the car software).

I've deleted and re-installed the app, rebooted the phone, none of those things have worked. Any thoughts?

So I finally got Firmware 6.0 and a new iPhone (6) and now the iPhone app crashes every time it connects to the car. Does anybody else have this issue? A lot of new things introduced all at once, so I'm not sure which thing is the culprit (new iPhone, new version of the Tesla app and new version of the car software).

I've deleted and re-installed the app, rebooted the phone, none of those things have worked. Any thoughts?

I updated my iphone 5 to iOS 8.0, have the updated app, and my car just updated to 6.0 last night... No issue so far.
My iPhone 6 plus is not arriving until November though.

I'm getting the exact same thing. I have a similar setup to yours, new iPhone 6 with Firmware 6.0, but I also tried it on my soon-to-be-retired iPhone 5 and it crashes immediately after connecting as well. I tried everything you did, I also tried rebooting the car but that didn't work either.

I sent a note to [email protected], hopefully they can find the problem soon.

Just thought I'd add that I've had no issues with the tesla app on my iPhone 5S or 6 under firmware 5.12 or 6.0. You could try changing your password on teslamotors.com, delete and reinstall app, then try and login again.

I am having the same issue. I have an iPhone 6 and 6.0 on my car. The Tesla app worked a couple of times, but ever since then it crashes shortly after the big red T screen comes up. I tried deleting and reinstalling, and the same thing is happening. The Tesla app is now basically bricked for me.

I’ve tried:
1) re-installing the app
2) rebooting the phone
3) rebooting the tesla
4) resetting my network settings on the phone

Not sure what else, other than wait for Tesla to respond. It would be nice to hear back from ownership that they’re even aware of the glitch and are working on a fix. The silence is deafening.

I’ve tried:
1) re-installing the app
2) rebooting the phone
3) rebooting the tesla
4) resetting my network settings on the phone

Not sure what else, other than wait for Tesla to respond. It would be nice to hear back from ownership that they’re even aware of the glitch and are working on a fix. The silence is deafening.

Well, I have my iphone 6 for only 2 days, and it crashes all the time. Apps lock up. Screen goes blank. Whole phone shuts down. Not just with the Tesla app, but similar behavior with several other apps, including apple's own calendar app. Given that, I highly doubt this is a problem of the Tesla app, but more likely buggy iOS 6. --Alex

I just got off the phone with Tesla service. They said that they think some of the crashing problems relate to the calendar app, and recommended I turn off the sharing with the Tesla app (Settings -- Privacy). I did that, but it didn't make a difference. They said they'd escalate the problem and have someone call me back. If others are having similar problems you may want to call. The squeaky wheel . . .

An update - I turned off calendar access on my iPhone 6 and the Tesla app stopped crashing on launch and is back to working normally again. Obviously I can't try the new calendar features, but at least the rest of the app now works, perhaps others can get the same result.

Same issue for me, found this thread at teslamotors.com .... 2. My app is crashing immediately on startup, almost as soon as the red screen with the T comes up. I turned off calendar sharing in the privacy section, and that didn't make a difference. I've deleted and reinstalled multiple times, with no success. They said they'd have to "elevate" the issue, but as of now (and for several days), the Tesla app is now completely unavailable to me.

same for me! Any ideas? Thanks