Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles more responsive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think it's been more responsive, but will take some time to know for sure. Before 6.0, there would be times where I'd be tapping at the door handle a couple of times to get it to come out. Haven't had that happen since 6.0. For me this is in cases where I've approached the car and the handles have presented, but I didn't get in right away, so the handles retracted before I opened the door, thus necessitating the need to tap to get in.

Here is my take: Previous to 6.0 there seemed to be a slight delay between pulling the handle and having the door solenoid release the door. It seems muck quicker now. I tug on the handle and the door releases almost instantly.

Here's my theory: There was a problem with the Gen 1 handles where they would extend and sometimes accidentally cause the door to pop open. I think Tesla pushed software that invoked a little delay so that the hair-trigger Gen 1 handles wouldn't pop doors when they extended. Likely all Gen 1 handles have been replaced by now (mine have, anyway), and the Gen 2 handles actually have a little "travel" when you pull on them. With this "travel", you don't have the hair-trigger problem of them accidentally activating the solenoid when they extend, so Tesla can remove the little delay that was a workaround fix for the earlier handles.

I have two Gen 1 handles and two Gen 2. Prior to v6 the new handles were slower to present, but now they're all in sync, and it seems like they present earlier (i.e. when I'm further way from the car) than before.

Mine slide out exactly as before. No sooner nor from farther away. Where I notice the difference is when I tug on them. Before there was a slight delay before the solenoid would release the door and now it seems faster.