Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Color and Options for the best resale value after one year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

My family is slowly growing and so the Model X will be the car to switch to after a year or so but in the meantime, I couldn't wait to be part of the Tesla family. I will be keeping the model S until I get the X which is at least one year out. As a result, I am thinking of purchasing a Model S that has the colors and options that would likely provide me with the best chance for a higher resell value. With this in mind, I added some options I feel is necessary but did not add options that I feel I would not be able to easily recover when I decide to sell it. I would like to ask all of you on what you think would be the way to go.

I am currently thinking of these three configurations for the S 85.

1.) Black Color, Black leather, Piano Black - MSRP $86,820

2.) Black Color, Tan Leather, Obeche Wood Gloss ($650 extra), MSRP $87,470

3.) Blue Color ($750 extra), Tan Leather, Obeche Wood Gloss ($650 extra), $88,220

Options for the above
Tech package
Parking sensor
Leather

Options considering
Pano Glass Roof ($2500 extra)

I don't expect to benefit personally for that one year with the pano glass roof since I don't find myself using it.
However, it seems that many tesla buyers will be looking for this option and I would consider getting it, if it's a deal breaker for selling it. However, I'm still leaning against this because even though I may have an easier time selling the car with the pano roof, I don't think I can get close to the $2500 upgrade back, when selling the car. Would you agree more or less with this thought process?

From a resale standpoint, which do you think out of the three color configurations is the best one to go with?

Thanks for your input!

Go for Option 2.
Black is a popular colour and there is next to no second hand value is attributed to the colour, so buying any extra cost colour is likely wasted money.
Given the hi-tech nature of the Model S not buying the Tech package could be a turn off and force a bigger selling price reduction.
The Pano is lovely but I would not do it on a car you won't keep. If you looking for bling to seduce a future buyer consider the extra lighting package, it's cheaper.
Resign yourself to the fact that you will take somewhat of a bath for the privileged of Model S ownership for a year.

P.S. I intend to keep mine a long time so I have gone with what I want which is generally left of field.

I would recommend you look at the black interior with obeche gloss. I have never seen anything look classier. The light colors with the piano black are not as visually pleasing, in my humble obstreperous opinion, especially on a high end car. Everyone I give rides or drives to (Many) are captivated by the looks of the interior and the brown exterior, but I will admit, some prefer black.

Thanks for the responses so far. I am also leaning towards the black exterior since it does not cost the extra $750 for the paint. I guess the question now, is if I should go for the black on black or the black on tan leather. I think that the black on black is pretty cool and looks sleek. The black on tan, however, I think may appeal to a wider range of people since most luxury cars have tan leather, but that is just a generalized personal view I have. I'm not too sure which one to go with.

Check out the delivery spreadsheet at Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

The most common set of options found there might be your best bet. Note that you can't just do a count for each option, it's the combinations of options that you are looking for.

But I tend to agree with the others that re-selling for a slight loss should be pretty easy regardless of the configuration (assuming tech package, of course).

I think stick with a neutral color (black, white, avoid green, brown and red, just because they will not appeal to all buyers) and absolutely add the tech package and leather; if you don't, that's the equivalent of buying a Mercedes without the Comand system and leather...you can do it, but your residual value will really suffer. The sunroof is an expensive add on, and having lived with it, I don't think it's worth it, BUT, it does have a bit of a wow factor for buyers. Whenever my wife demos the car, she will always show the 'drag and drop' sunroof feature. I'd consider upgrading from the piano black, just because of the fingerprints and light scratches that it shows. The parking sensors are a cheap add-on (maybe even free with the tech package, according to another thread) and it's a big car, so some buyer might be turned off if they're not there.