Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Color and Options for the best resale value after one year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

My family is slowly growing and so the Model X will be the car to switch to after a year or so but in the meantime, I couldn't wait to be part of the Tesla family. I will be keeping the model S until I get the X which is at least one year out. As a result, I am thinking of purchasing a Model S that has the colors and options that would likely provide me with the best chance for a higher resell value. With this in mind, I added some options I feel is necessary but did not add options that I feel I would not be able to easily recover when I decide to sell it. I would like to ask all of you on what you think would be the way to go.

I am currently thinking of these three configurations for the S 85.

1.) Black Color, Black leather, Piano Black - MSRP $87,470

2.) Black Color, Tan Leather, Obeche Wood Gloss ($650 extra), MSRP $87,470

3.) Blue Color ($750 extra), Tan Leather, Obeche Wood Gloss ($650 extra), $88,220

Options for the above
Tech package
Parking sensor
Leather

Options considering
Pano Glass Roof ($2500 extra)

I don't expect to benefit personally for that one year with the pano glass roof since I don't find myself using it.
However, it seems that many tesla buyers will be looking for this option and I would consider getting it, if it's a deal breaker for selling it. However, I'm still leaning against this because even though I may have an easier time selling the car with the pano roof, I don't think I can get close to the $2500 upgrade back, when selling the car. Would you agree more or less with this thought process?

From a resale standpoint, which do you think out of the three color configurations is the best one to go with?

Thanks for your input!

I feel the Dual Chargers are very important once you understand how that option reduces charge times if you have the amps.

"Resale Red" did not get that name for nothing.

I know MANY folks who will never buy a black or dark blue car after having owned one (include me in that bunch) as the color shows virtually ALL flaws, chips and swirls.

Also you did not list the supercharger option in that list but it may be included.
The gloss woods do show finger prints.

I think the start of deliveries for the Model X will be a bonanza for anyone hoping to buy a used Model S, and the steady stream of available used vehicles will keep the prices down. One reason I financed through Tesla was to have a guaranteed no muss/no fuss value if I decide to step up to the latest and greatest in 3 years.

As someone who was shopping for a used S I can tell you the most important options for me were is this order:
-Performance Level
-Interior Color
-Pano Roof
The least important options would be:
-Third row seats
-Dual Chargers
-Cold Weather Package
Of your 3 cars, the Blue would have been the most attractive by a very small margin over the Black with tan interior..

I think the start of deliveries for the Model X will be a bonanza for anyone hoping to buy a used Model S, and the steady stream of available used vehicles will keep the prices down. One reason I financed through Tesla was to have a guaranteed no muss/no fuss value if I decide to step up to the latest and greatest in 3 years.

I suspect a sufficient number of people have or will fiance with Tesla and that will prop up the used market for everyone since the people with the Tesla guarantee won't sell for less than Tesla would give them.

I am not so sure. I have heard this before, but its not as if the Model X is a replacement for the Model S. This is like saying a new Roadster would lead to mass trade-ins of the Model S. Many people do not like sport utility vehicles and those that do might want one with real towing capability and/or more rugged looks. I am very excited to see the production Model X but the wife (who drives a 14' Range Rover Sport) said she thinks the Model S is an egg on wheels and thinks it is too close styling-wise to the BMW X6 (which is certainly a niche product) for her tastes. I will reserve judgement until I see one in person, but I won't drink the Kool Aid and consider it the second coming until we know all of the details.

doubtful. I owned a Roadster now a Model S. No interest in the X.
My ideal car would be smaller than the S (at least not as wide).
Have a SUV ICE for the rare occasions when I need a large vehicle.

Indeed. Just take a quick visit over to the Model X forums and look at the number of people planning to swap out their S for an X.

My wife is interested in an X, but we'll be watching the used inventory closely as X deliveries start to see if it's better to pick up a used S instead.

FWIW, about half the people who see my car think it's black. In the right light, the blue is amazing, but at night, or in very bright sunlight, an impartial observer would not know it wasn't black.

So the resale difference between black and blue may be a moot point.

Thanks for all the responses. With the new update, I think the key to keeping up the resale value is adding the $4000 AWD upgrade. Although the price goes up substantially and puts it at almost 100k for an 85 with the options I mentioned plus sales tax, I think the depreciation will be reduced due to the lack of supply of the 85D and demand for it on the used car market.