Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Planning first road trip from Palm Springs area to San Francisco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine there are quite a few of you Tesla owners who have driven from Palm Springs area to San Francisco (or vice versa). I am planning my first road trip on that route for next week (I've only had my MS 85 for 2 days). I used to drive a Leaf (traded it in for the MS) so I'm quite familiar with range anxiety. My first question is whether to take I5 up the grapevine, or to take the much more scenic (but slower) route up 101. According to EV trip planner, either route requires 4 charging stops each way. I know one should allow for significant leeway in miles between charges, but I'm wondering if anyone who has done this trip has used only 3 supercharger stops. Both routes on EV planner suggest a stop in Hawthorne for the first supercharger but I'm wondering if anyone has done the trip from Palm Springs area to Tejon Ranch (202 mi) on a 100% charge or if that is too risky. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :love:

If you don't speed you will be fine going from Palm Springs to Tejon.

I used the Palm Springs convention center as your starting point & EV trip planner calculates you will use 233 rated miles to reach Tejon Ranch, with a max charge of 265-270 you should be fine, just don't speed! I would rather drive a tad slower then deal with LA traffic & use Hawthorne SpC, if you have time & really want scenic from Tejon I would take the HWY 1 up the coast requiring a charge at Atascadero thru Big Sur looping back to Gilroy's SpC.

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 11.45.34 AM.png

Agree, should be no problem if you do a max charge and then drive no faster than 65.

Doing that will certainly take less time than going 70-75 and having to detour to Hawthorne for a charge.

Hopefully next year the new Supercharger shown on Tesla's map somewhere in the Pasadena area (my guess) will be in place and very useful for the trip you describe.

Agree, should be no problem if you do a max charge and then drive no faster than 65.

Doing that will certainly take less time than going 70-75 and having to detour to Hawthorne for a charge.

Hopefully next year the new Supercharger shown on Tesla's map somewhere in the Pasadena area (my guess) will be in place and very useful for the trip you describe.

Agree with recommendations. On the way back, a charge to 97% at Tejon is probably the fastest, even if you have to drive even a little slower.

i hear the new Supercharger will be in Rancho Cucamonga.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I only hope I can restrain myself to drive at the speed limit! I guess I'll just set the cruise control at 65 and try not to feel bad when people are screaming by me at 90 mph on the 5! (of course, they might slow down to look at my incredible vehicle!):smile:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I only hope I can restrain myself to drive at the speed limit! I guess I'll just set the cruise control at 65 and try not to feel bad when people are screaming by me at 90 mph on the 5! (of course, they might slow down to look at my incredible vehicle!):smile:

With the 55 mph speed limit for trucks in California, I found that just going with the flow of the trucks worked well.