Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Current Draw vs. State of Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have an interesting question. I know that the Roadster can charge with different maximum amp cables (15, 20, 40, 50, 70) but how is the maximum amperage that the battery can draw affected by the current state of charge. I know it isn't flat, but is it flat within a specific range (10%-90%)? I have been wondering this for awhile now. Does anyone know where this sort of information can be found?

Non-Tesla Li-Ion charging articles:

Challenges in Li-ion charging - Electronic Products
Li-ion batteries have three primary charging stages. First, a precharge current is applied if the battery is deeply discharged (usually below 2.8 to 3 V). This stage prevents overheating of a deeply discharged battery.
The precharge current is usually set to 10% of the fast-charge current. Once the battery voltage is greater than 2.8 V, the fast-charge current is applied; this is the second charge stage. During this period, the battery is charged with a constant current of 1C or less, "C" being the rated capacity of the Li-ion cell. Thus, during both the first and second stages, the charger is operating in the constant-current (CC) mode.
The rising battery voltage reaches a target of 4.1 or 4.2 V. Here stage 3 begins--a transition from CC mode to constant-voltage (CV) mode. At this point, the battery is approximately 70% replenished and the current should fall while the voltage remains constant...

Microcontroller-Based Mixed-Signal Battery Charger Adapts to Multiple Chemistries Page of
807PET22-battery-charger-Figure01.jpg

Proper Care Extends Li-Ion Battery Life Page of
804li-ion-battery-life-Figure01.jpg

Current, voltage and temperature govern Li-Ion battery charging - Part 2
Fig18.jpg