Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to prefer left-side power outlet over right-side power outlet in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrical sub-panel is on the right side of my garage, so it'll cost less to put the NEMA 14-50 power outlet on the right side -- as opposed to running cable across the ceiling to the garage's left side near the car's left-rear charge port. And the car's left-side charge port can always be within the recommended 15 feet of a right-side power outlet.

So, I'm planning to put the power outlet on the right side, unless I'm overlooking some advantage to having a left-side power outlet or some disadvantage to having a right-side power outlet. Does anyone think a left-side power outlet is preferable to a right-side outlet?

The left-side power outlet would cost 60% to 80% more than the right-side outlet, but would still be affordable and I'm willing to do it if there's any advantage to doing it.

I like the plug on the way to and from the car, but I also wanted a plug that could serve two EVs if I had them, so my compromise was between the garage doors on our two car garage. If the other car goes in nose-in, both can be served from the HPWC. I would avoid a placement that is inconvenient, or otherwise limits your choices down the road. Our entry into the house is basically behind the photographer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405349099.250975.jpg

I like the plug on the way to and from the car, but I also wanted a plug that could serve two EVs if I had them, so my compromise was between the garage doors on our two car garage. If the other car goes in nose-in, both can be served from the HPWC. I would avoid a placement that is inconvenient, or otherwise limits your choices down the road. Our entry into the house is basically behind the photographer.

That looks really great and very practical. Is your power outlet in the ceiling between the two garage doors?

Thanks. If you zoom in, you can see an HPWC right above the refrigerator box and the cable going up to the roof to the hooks.

Attic is unfinished and breakers are in closet 15 feet to the left.

BTW, I hang the cable because it's a trip hazard. A couple of members have gotten hurt.

Yes, I see it there. Well done. Thanks for the very useful information -- really appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, your car looks great. Is that the new metallic grey? I also ordered metallic grey with 21" grey turbines, so I'm curious about the powder coating you did to match the colors. Did you just find a local after-market tire shop to do the work? And, how long did they keep your car to do the work? Are there any other important considerations that I shoild think about if I think the colors don't match well? Finally, if you don't mind sharing, what do you think is a reasonable cost-range for getting this done?

thanks again.

(LMB spouse)

Our sub-panel is on the right side of the garage, but we put a14-50 outlet at the front between the two garage doors. We always pull the Model S straight in to the right bay. The UMC is coiled neatly and takes literally three seconds to unstow and plug in or unplug and stow. The driver has to walk by the charge port going in or out because it's a detached garage.

Our garage is pretty small and we prefer lining up and pulling in straight to backing in. If you pull in straight, backing out is easy: just don't turn the steering wheel. Whereas, backing in would be tricky, especially at night. We use a tennis ball on a string and a mark on the back wall: when they line up you can just pull in until the windshield hits the tennis ball. This is important since we have about two inches of clearance on each side of the door and less than a foot of clearance front-to-back.