Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing the Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've gotten tired of asking the SC to fix the rattling cross-member trim on my pano-roof - the one above and behind my head. The rough Arizona roads make the car sound like my old '62 VW split-window bus.

Okay, that was mean, but I've been driving a lot this week :) Yes, the car is my third love, but I have to fix this noise. Any suggestions? Silicone tape around the wires? Spray foam? How do I make sure the anchors stay tight after taking the thing off and putting it back on multiple times?

I don't understand, why has the service center not been able to remedy the rattle?

I took mine in for a rattle and they applied several different service bulletins to address the situation. One required adding felt to the metal tongue at the front of the pano roof, another called for additional padding in both front door panels, and yet another addressed the B-pillar seat belt opening. My rattles are gone and the car feels tight again.

Have you escalated this to Nicholas?

Are you sure it's the trim? Early(ish) VIN's had to have some shims inserted to get rid of the noise, it took 3 attempts to get mine right, but now it's good. The actual trim piece is simple to remove (just firmly pull down, I think I recall 4 anchors), so if it really is that, some foam tape should take care of it. There's no wires in the cross-member.

I have photos of it (somewhere on this forum) if you want to see where the anchors are.

Last edited:
I'd continue to press your SC to fix it. Mine has been great at noise diagnosis and remediation. The service manager mentioned earlier this year he went to Fremont for NVR training. (Noise, Vibration, and Rattle). Perhaps over time your SC has similarly improved their skills.

The SC itself has been great with fixing things, it's just that this part is so accessible that I should be able to deal with it easier than making an appointment, etc. I don't mean to complain about them. Actually I recently removed the trim piece, looked around and then replaced it - and the rattle disappeared. Then it reappeared today, 500 miles later. I guess I just have to take it off and on, now and again ;-)

I'll have them look at it next time when I go in for an alignment - they replaced the drive unit last week and now it pulls to the left.

The SC itself has been great with fixing things, it's just that this part is so accessible that I should be able to deal with it easier than making an appointment, etc. I don't mean to complain about them. Actually I recently removed the trim piece, looked around and then replaced it - and the rattle disappeared. Then it reappeared today, 500 miles later. I guess I just have to take it off and on, now and again ;-)

I'll have them look at it next time when I go in for an alignment - they replaced the drive unit last week and now it pulls to the left.

They should have performed a full alignment on the car after the drive unit replacement. They should have also properly centered your steering wheel - they have a bubble level that can be mounted to the wheel that is specifically designed for that purpose. They used it on my car. They also have a new alignment machine as of about 2-3 weeks ago when I had my annual done.

Do you have the alcantara headliner? Because if you do, that cross-member is now covered in alcantara on new shipments. You can buy that from the service center and have them install it. You might like the new look and take care of the rattle at the same time! :)

They should have performed a full alignment on the car after the drive unit replacement. They should have also properly centered your steering wheel - they have a bubble level that can be mounted to the wheel that is specifically designed for that purpose. They used it on my car. They also have a new alignment machine as of about 2-3 weeks ago when I had my annual done.

Do you have the alcantara headliner? Because if you do, that cross-member is now covered in alcantara on new shipments. You can buy that from the service center and have them install it. You might like the new look and take care of the rattle at the same time! :)

Thanks Ampd; they did perform an alignment after drive unit swap. At first I didn't notice any wandering, then I thought it was the wind or truck ruts, and now being kind of the obsessive type I notice it all the time. So maybe something has "settled in," or else it might have been inexperience with the new tooling. In any case, I've got it scheduled for re-do in a couple weeks. Driving almost 1K mi per week lately, so it will be nice.

Will also have the rattle fixed, though I still might address it myself before then since now there's a second rattle behind the instrument cluster, or whatever it's called. OCD + 1K miles = I can hear every tap ;-) I'm thinking foam tape. No, I won't touch the instrument cluster.

Let me be clear, since I was contacted offline about it: My first post might make it sound as though teh SC was avoiding dealing with the problem. This is not the case at all. I had asked them to take care of it at my wheel rotation, and I think they ended up fixing another rattle in one of the pillars. I asked a second time but they didn't have time to do it after swapping the drive unit, which is reasonable considering it's a drive unit after all. In fact Tesla service has never been anything but accommodative, and even proactive in taking care of my car. They even valet'ed it to me half way across town the last time, which was super convenient since it was turning into rush hour and I had to get going. Tesla service is second to none IMO, in fact I'd say they are in their own class in the industry, just like the car.

The car, I bought with the attitude of "early adopter," and am frankly pleased that there haven't been more problems. It's only 3 years in production, how did they pull that off? With the occasional loose trim piece or noisy bearing it's not 100%, but it's still an amazing vehicle and they've made my experience as pain-free as possible while they work out how to produce the asymptotically perfect car.

Speaking of which, I think I will ask about the alcantara lined trim piece, it would give a more integrated and solid look to that plastic sucker up there.

Rattles are notoriously hard. I'd just keep on them, noting your increased displeasure each time it returns.

Mine went in for a batch of rattles, and most stayed fixed for a few weeks, but nearly all returned. I have to take mine back in as well.

The car is just that way. All my rattles have been addressed at one point or another as well, and all but one have come back. I have four distinct rattles that show up routinely, and one that I seem to have only in the winter (looking forward to that returning). I've had two different service centers try to fix them. The only one ever permanently fixed was the driver seat belt rattle -- possibly the most annoying of them.

Last edited: