Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many times have you Range charged your Roadster

How many times have you Range charged your Roadster

• 0-5

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • 6-10

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 11-20

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 21-40

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 41-60

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 61-100

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • >100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
In an attempt to understand how range charge behavior might affect pack longevity for the Roadster, I'd like to gather some data on range charges.

In addition to participating in the poll, it would be helpful to know:

• CAR NEW PURCHASE DATE:
  • CURRENT VEHICLE MILEAGE:
  • CURRENT RANGE MODE MILES (~97%):
  • CURRENT CAC:
  • TOTAL # OF RANGE CHARGES:

Anything else pertinent you'd like to note as well, such as frequency of range charges (2/month, etc...), how long you leave the car at 100% before driving, how low of a SOC you've had to drive car to on those occasions, etc...

(On Edit: As dsm363 mentiones, it would be useful for Roadster owners to participate in the Plug in America poll as well)

(On Edit #2: Changed some verbiage as per wiztecy's suggestions to be more apropos to Roadsters)

Last edited:
I do a range charge about once a month. While my car was delivered in March 2009 I do not think the first owner ranged charges as it only had 1047 miles over 2 years when I bought. So in the last 3.5 years I likely ranged charged about 40 times. My CAC stand a at 141.5 and a range charge gives me about 220 ideal miles. I now have 27,500 miles on it.

I need to update the Plug-In pole with some updated numbers.

In an attempt to understand how range charge behavior might affect pack longevity for the Roadster, I'd like to gather some data on range charges.

In addition to participating in the poll, it would be helpful to know:

• CURRENT IDEAL MILES @ 100%:

Ideal Miles at the end of the Range mode charge? People can interpret 100% as 100% of a std. mode charge. I think both figures will be helpful, and more data available for std. mode charges.

Other points that would be useful:

-Current CAC of the pack.
-Has the pack / sheet(s) been replaced, and if so what miles/year.

• CAR NEW PURCHASE DATE: I purchased used (with 12.5k miles) 9/13
  • CURRENT VEHICLE MILEAGE: 40k
  • CAC: Currently 154.8
  • CURRENT IDEAL MILES @ 100%: Standard charge 185-186, last Range charge 237
  • TOTAL # OF RANGE CHARGES: 2 (I do not believe that the previous owner had range charged at all, but I can't be certain of that)

Original battery pack (later replaced due to a bad APS buried in pack on the 1.5):

• CAR NEW PURCHASE DATE: I purchased used (with 3k miles) 5/12
  • CURRENT VEHICLE MILEAGE: 20K (Miles when original battery pack was replaced on 4/13)
  • CAC: 148.50 (CAC at time original pack was replaced)
  • CURRENT IDEAL MILES @ 100%: Standard charge 181, last Range charge 230 (charge numbers when pack was replaced)
  • TOTAL # OF RANGE CHARGES: 4 on original pack.

Current / Replaced pack
  • CAR NEW PURCHASE DATE: I purchased used (with 3k miles) - 4/12
  • CURRENT VEHICLE MILEAGE: 34k (first pack had 20k; current/replaced pack has 14k)
  • CAC: Currently 155.15
  • CURRENT IDEAL MILES @ 100%: Standard charge 184, last Range charge 235
  • TOTAL # OF RANGE CHARGES: 4 on current/replaced pack

**Other notes:
-I do cool-downs on my battery pack religiously, especially when I get home from work or doing a long trip, or its a very hot day.
-On both packs, I stay away from driving the pack down to its lower extreme SOC (less than 20%). I did this twice on my original pack and only once on my current pack.
-I don't leave the pack sitting for a long time above 87% SOC nor below 35% SOC. When the Roadster sits I target 50-60% SOC.

Last edited:
Sooo, are you folks posting going to actually vote in the poll?

I did as well before making my post above.

If you're looking at the amount of respondents to the Model-S range mode poll vs. the Roadster poll you will always see more Model S respondents. Reason being there's only a small fraction of Roadsters (Less than 2500 world wide) that were ever produced and dropping due to accidents beyond the car or Tesla's control. On the otherhand Tesla sold close to 18,000 and 20,000 Model S cars in the U.S. *alone* during 2013 *alone*.

Also you'll see Roadster owners trickle in when then connect up to TMC, give them a week or two....

Model-S Range Mode Poll:
How many times have you Range charged (100%) your model S? - View Poll Results

The poll seems somewhat meaningless without a per-miles component or the odo reading. For example, if I charged 30 times in 30,000 miles that would be very different from 30 times in 10,000 miles. Then again maybe that's what you wanted - number of range charges regardless of miles driven?

Have you looked at the PIA study wrt range charges?

The poll seems somewhat meaningless without a per-miles component or the odo reading. For example, if I charged 30 times in 30,000 miles that would be very different from 30 times in 10,000 miles. Then again maybe that's what you wanted - number of range charges regardless of miles driven?

Have you looked at the PIA study wrt range charges?

Hard to do that in the poll itself here. Thus the extra questions I asked:

CAR NEW PURCHASE DATE:
CURRENT VEHICLE MILEAGE:
CURRENT RANGE MODE MILES (~97%):
CURRENT CAC:
TOTAL # OF RANGE CHARGES:

• CAR NEW PURCHASE DATE: 10/31/2008
  • CURRENT VEHICLE MILEAGE: 33762
  • CURRENT RANGE MODE MILES (~97%): 225 @ 95%
  • CURRENT CAC: 146.48
  • TOTAL # OF RANGE CHARGES: 60
My range charges come in clumps when I'm on a road trip, e.g. on a 12-day road trip from Sunnyvale, CA to Vancouver, BC, I range charged every night. The car would sit full at most an hour or two. Between such road trips, there would be no range charges for months.

I always switch to Standard mode before driving, and typically don't drive below 10% in Standard (so about 20% absolute).

I have a nearly complete collection of log files since delivery of the car but with 8 gaps ranging from 32 hours to 17 days for various reasons.