Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Model 3 be offered as a Series rather than a Model?

Should Model 3 be offered as a Series rather than a Model?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using Ford’s F Series as an example, the truck’s power, suspension and load capabilities are clearly differentiated by the nameplate, F-150, F-250, and F-350. Had Ford not done this, every F series truck would become Model F with either a 150, 250 or 350 badge.

Presumably, Model E’s badges will be similar to Model S with two separate nameplates, one Model E nameplate and another power option (45 or 60) nameplate.

Would it make more sense if Model 3 were offered in a series with each battery size having it’s own individual nameplate?

Example:

45kwh = Tesla E-45
60kwh = Tesla E-60

Changing to a series could be positive for both Tesla and Tesla’s customer:

As a customer, when the time comes to resell my E-45 or E-60, it would be (more) directly compared against other E-45 or E-60s rather than every Model 3 available on the resale market.

For Tesla, if slight body changes or trims need to be made to accommodate for something specific to one vehicle but not the other (i.e. more airflow to cool a larger battery), the change could be made to fewer vehicles.

Note: to be clear, we don't know what size battery Tesla will offer in Model E, 45 kwh and 60 kwh are a guess.

Why did you start a second poll? I guess I don't see why Tesla wouldn't simply sell the Model 3 and provide different battery pack and trim options like they do now. Why lock people into the old way of doing things? Part of the advantage of doing a build to order sales model is people can build what they want.

Last edited:
Well the F series trucks are very capably different between the divisions.

And what you are talking about seems like semantics. MB uses 'Class', BMW uses 'Series', and Tesla uses 'Model' to designate their models. Putting a dash after 3 then the battery, versus the battery on the other side of the lift gate isn't really all that different.

And what you are talking about seems like semantics. MB uses 'Class', BMW uses 'Series', and Tesla uses 'Model' to designate their models. Putting a dash after 3 then the battery, versus the battery on the other side of the lift gate isn't really all that different.

I agree with this -- it's just semantics. It's like how the BMW E or F numbers work. Each E or F series cars are built upon the same basic frame/body/styling even across several model "years". Tesla is no different with the Model S/X/3. In terms of resale value of BMWs 3-series, the market always takes into consideration (at a minimum) the engine size, number of doors, etc so all "3-Series" cars aren't all lumped together. For Tesla, it will be battery size, performance model, and likely 2wd/4wd options. There's really no difference between "Model" and "Series" --- just that BMW uses their badging to further separate the trim lines (more for marketing), as Tesla is also already doing with "60" "85" (or "S85") "P85" and "P85+".

The BMW model numbers are based via engine size. As that's the draw card.
Tesla Is known for making a fast car, so the only concern for "some" customers is range. Hence the models with different ranges.
I hope in the near future tesla can offer 1 model that ticks the power and range boxes. Then all you do is choose your extra features.
It's another way of showing the world that all you need is a battery and an electric motor.
These ice engines that have turbos and superchargers on a 1.6L engine in order to get good fuel economy but still have some power should be portrayed as old school and pointless.

The BMW model numbers are based via engine size. As that's the draw card.
Tesla Is known for making a fast car, so the only concern for "some" customers is range. Hence the models with different ranges.
I hope in the near future tesla can offer 1 model that ticks the power and range boxes. Then all you do is choose your extra features.
It's another way of showing the world that all you need is a battery and an electric motor.
These ice engines that have turbos and superchargers on a 1.6L engine in order to get good fuel economy but still have some power should be portrayed as old school and pointless.

AFAIK This used to be true for BMW but no longer is.