Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teardown of some parts of Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IHS has done a teardown of some parts in Model S

https://technology.ihs.com/teardowns?facets=Manufacturers:Tesla

Full report only available to paying customers. Right click on images and remove "size=thumbnail" from URL to get bigger images. I guess they will probably make some report sales to the smaller manufacturers who haven't torn down a Tesla yet.

Charger is VERY interesting, I love how it's put together.

Interestingly, Tesla made a lot more parts than I expected. Things like the safety systems were made by other manufacturers. All door lock/liftgate/sunroof systems etc are made by Pektron Ltd., a UK supplier. I am guessing this is part of the system security.

They haven't taken apart the motor inverter yet... :(

Thanks tom66,

Very interesing.

I noticed that when you remove even more from the URL : "/photos/9xxxx/binary?size=thumbnail", you'll get a JSON formatted list of all pictures from that part.
Maybe i'll write something that will parse all the url's in this json file automatically.

There's some seriously good engineering on those parts. I'm especially happy and impressed to see the main display assembly and computer are very modular. The GPS/Cell sub board is socketed which means it can be upgraded by Tesla down the road for faster service. I'm hoping by the time Model 3 comes out it will come equipped with at least 4G cell speeds. LTE would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding the main display. It seems to have one micro SD and on SD card.
Here: https://technology.ihs.com/Teardowns/binary/devices/2594/photos/95737/binary
Wonder what's on those two...

Not sure which sub board those are on but based on my software engineering experience those would most likely be used to store temp data such as log files, cache the software updates and allow for the software update process to temp storage. Using commodity items like SD cards allows Tesla to increase the amount of storage at very little cost compared to adding soldered flash memory to the boards and incurring PC board redesigns.

Making the whole CPU systems of the car as modular as possible makes for easy upgrading at minimal costs and here's no need to go great lengths for miniaturization in a car.

Regarding the main display. It seems to have one micro SD and on SD card.
Here: https://technology.ihs.com/Teardowns/binary/devices/2594/photos/95737/binary
Wonder what's on those two...

Early on it was advertised that there was on-board storage[1] that would be available for music libraries.

That idea seems to have evaporated... and I've seen some assertions that the space is being used for additional metrics data gathering and/or the new (limited)map-caching that a recent firmware update enabled.

I'd guess one of those might be the OS/libraries for the consile itself, the other the secondary storage that is accomplishing the above...

[1] Often referred to as the car having a "hard drive", but I've always suspected it was solid-state media

Crap, I missed most of the webinar. I only caught the very end summary and the Q&A. The Model S has a NVIDIA Tegra 2 to control the dashboard display and a Tegra 3 to control the big display. I'm thinking that Tegra 3 should have enough graphics capability to draw backup lines - I understand the Tegra 2 would have difficulty, but I would hope the Tegra 3 could do it (dynamically draw overlays on top of live video).

The IHS rep seemed impressed with the amount of custom boards built with Tesla's logo. He said by really designing their own, they get better control of the bill of materials and can control costs. Tesla seems to pick and choose specific parts to do custom - for example, the sunroof control is pretty much an off the shelf standard part but the head unit was custom. He also said the Model S battery pack almost killed his mechanic due to weight and that the BMS teardown was something they'll do, but not yet in the queue. I suspect the hardware electronics to be not as interesting as the software aspect.

Anyone catch the main presentation and can give a summary?

Tegra 2 could do backup lines... It's not a hard task.

I figure that one of the reasons Tesla does not do this is there's no way for the touchscreen to read the steering wheel position as of yet. So they couldn't adapt the lines on the fly like other cars, which would be the most useful feature for them. Otherwise, they're only really good in a static position.

I suspect this may change with the Autopilot features as there's now a computer in direct command of the steering.