Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calendar is nice... but how long until we get basic playlist access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The calendar is okay, found it amusing at first but now bugs me every time I get back into my other vehicles when I still (after almost a year now) cannot access or control my playlists the way I can on ALL my other (older) vehicles, and from different manufacturers, some touch display, some not. When I hear "cool fixes" by people adding random strings to files on USB sticks in order to get a randomize function ... I am reminded of early PC user group definitions of "cool"... I love driving my Model S, but every time I look for my missing center console or want to play music (I haven't had to preplan) or want to hang up a jacket or cannot access a few simple web pages (admittedly just a few, but my security cameras and some business snapshot pages are important at times and they show up quickly on my iPhone and Galaxy Tab...)... i wonder a bit about design priorities.

I have no idea why the calendar took precedence over fixing music, as music is used far more often. I guess it's like the cross country route through South Dakota--Elon wanted it.

Tesla should have put out a timeline of sorts for their major updates along with a basic goal for each ... I too am disappointed they haven't done a major refresh of the music and media section

For example ... .and example only...

6.0 Nav and Calendar
6.1 Music and Media updates
6.2 Diagnostics menus
6.3 Interface update

I like the calendar function, though what would be really nice is if it were smart enough to realize that phone numbers were phone numbers and allow you to dial with one tap.

I'm also pretty surprised how this calendar stuff (which was probably much more complex to do than bringing basic functions to the music player) made it in over other things that are being almost universally requested. I haven't seen one thread where anyone asked for a calendar, however the "please add shuffle" is everywhere...

I personally don't use the media player in the car much, I use my phone over bluetooth. But if I did, I would be clamoring for those improvements too... I put a bunch of flac and high bitrate MP3's on a USB stick just to try it out and wasn't very pleased with the usability of the player UI, so I decided to go back to bluetooth streaming.

Being a 6'2" 275lb guy, the main thing I'd like to see is an option for an exit function where the steering wheel collapses out of your way when you put it in park (like most cars with a motorized steering wheel)

This car is already hard enough to get in and out of, and having to create a separate "EXIT" profile just to make it easier to get in and out without scraping the steering wheel or rubbing against the corner of the B pillar is pretty lame.

This would/should be a really easy thing to add, just like shuffle.

Easy things to add (particularly if they're being clamored for like the music player improvements) should be given a higher priority IMO- they're called low hanging fruit or quick wins... and you want to take advantage of those because they're easy and have a big impact on customer satisfaction. A much bigger impact and bang for your buck than something hard to implement and not being highly requested...

Last edited:
As a Windows Phone user I dont even get to use the Calendar function, so when the times I have no cell coverage (and no slacker) it would be nice to use my music on the usb, that is near unusable with the way the player works.
Get yourself a nice microUSB card and load it with music and stream through bluetooth- that's what I do in bad coverage areas... much better UI (on my phone) and the stereo just isn't nice enough for me to hear the difference over bluetooth vs direct connection... Especially with high bit rate mp3's. And I have a very good ear from being a musician and working with various music tools like Pro Tools, Studio One, Sound Forge, etc

Tesla should have put out a timeline of sorts for their major updates along with a basic goal for each ... I too am disappointed they haven't done a major refresh of the music and media section

For example ... .and example only...

6.0 Nav and Calendar
6.1 Music and Media updates
6.2 Diagnostics menus
6.3 Interface update
This absolutely cracks me up!!! You have been around here since 2010 and you want Tesla to put out a timeline???!!! Why?? When have they ever held to any kind of timeline prediction?

Seriously. I'm driving a crappy entry-level Honda CR-V while mine is in the shop, and as soon as I plugged my phone into the USB port, I had complete Album/Artist/Playlist/Song control complete with my album art on the screen.

I think that sums up most of the "why did xx feature get done before yy?" questions.

I have to say, regardless of what they added or didn't, it still is nice that i've gotten 3 updates in 5 months of ownership. I assuming the things I want will turn up eventually and perhaps someday the missing stuff I really miss will be there. I'd have taken USB shuffle over all the updates I got with 6.0, but each one (except the air suspension one since I don't have that) is a nice FREE addition to an already great car.

Seriously. I'm driving a crappy entry-level Honda CR-V while mine is in the shop, and as soon as I plugged my phone into the USB port, I had complete Album/Artist/Playlist/Song control complete with my album art on the screen.
Hell, a CR-V is practically a luxury vehicle compared to the rental car I got the other day. I had a fine Kia Rio, a $13k car... fantastic USB iPhone and Android integration. Plugged it in and was instantly up and running.

We can't have that, but hey, I can look at my calendar!

I really hope the calendar integration came because it was a low-hanging fruit, not because it was prioritized over some of the other things everyone has been clamoring for.