Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does Tesla add to electric bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure out how much the Tesla is adding to my electric bill. I received it at the end of June and drive approximately 80 miles 5 days a week. I have 4,539 miles on it.so about 1,800 miles a month. I am using the hpwc at 80 amps everynight to recharge. On the past two months our electric bills seem to have increased about $200 a month which seems high. But we also live in South Florida and some is probably due to increase do in airconditioner usage. I need to call electric company to compare bills to this time last year and also check on rate increases.

I'm also concerned about the hpwc efficiency as I noticed the handle was very hot the other day when I unplugged it in the middle of charging. I plan to call Tesla as I've read in this forum about others with Heat issues. In the meantime I cut the amps way down to 60amps as I hope the will be less heat and a more efficient charge.

Any input on what the Tesla does or should add to the electric bill much appreciated
Thanks

I'm paying about ~$66 a month on electricity for my car using special EV time of use rates, charging only after midnight.

If I still had my gas-guzzling Audi I'd be paying 3x that for gas.

I was hoping I'd be paying even less for electricity.

Trying to figure out how much the Tesla is adding to my electric bill. I received it at the end of June and drive approximately 80 miles 5 days a week. I have 4,539 miles on it.so about 1,800 miles a month. I am using the hpwc at 80 amps everynight to recharge. On the past two months our electric bills seem to have increased about $200 a month which seems high. But we also live in South Florida and some is probably due to increase do in airconditioner usage. I need to call electric company to compare bills to this time last year and also check on rate increases.

I'm also concerned about the hpwc efficiency as I noticed the handle was very hot the other day when I unplugged it in the middle of charging. I plan to call Tesla as I've read in this forum about others with Heat issues. In the meantime I cut the amps way down to 60amps as I hope the will be less heat and a more efficient charge.

Any input on what the Tesla does or should add to the electric bill much appreciated
Thanks

I would expect to see your bill increase by approximately $70 per month based on the numbers you gave. That's 1800 miles at 350 Wh/mi (you're probably getting lower than that so I was erring on the high side here) which is 630 kWh of power per month. Add 10% for charging inefficiencies (this includes the heat you feel on your HPWC - it's going to get hot when you're pumping 80A of current through there) and you end up with 693 kWh.

I can't quite figure out what this rate schedule means (the Duke Energy schedule for NC is much less complicated) but in looking at this:

http://www.fpl.com/rates/pdf/Residential.pdf

It appears that you're probably paying around $0.10 per kWh of power. That means that 693 kWh would cost you $69.30. At the national average of $0.12 it would be about $83 (again assuming 350 Wh/mi which is on the high side).

After about 6 months of driving I compared my usage to the same period last year and it came out to about $50/mo. I then took the total energy used from the trip screen and did the math that way as well to validate. Pretty much dead-on. Better than that $300/mo I was spending on gas!

It's really difficult to answer without knowing what your cost per kWh is. You can get a quick estimate by assuming 3 miles per kWh: (Miles Driven / 3) * $kWh, unless your driving style is consistently more than 330 wH/mile or you're burning a lot of energy off books. You will lose some in the summer in Florida if you leave the car in the sun all day to recool the cabin and battery.

I didn't rigorously track my usage until I got the Tesla, but as best as I can figure I pay about $30-$40 a month for about 800 - 1200 miles at $0.11/kWh, compared to about $150 gasoline before, and I drove that vehicle probably about 2/3rds as much per week as I do now.

I'm trying out the following to track this:

Figured out what the cycle date is for electric meter reading, and I reset Trip A on that day each month, after reading out the kWh on Trip A from the previous month.
The bill comes in a few days later and I use the rate there per kWh to calculate what my cost was for the kWh in the prior month.
Since the kWh on the trip record doesn't include charging inefficiency, I multiply by 1/0.85 assuming 85% efficient charging for my NEMA 14-50 at 40 Amps.

Short of installing a submeter for your charging outlet (which you can do for a few $100), this is about the best one can do.
In your case 1800 miles should be about 500+ kWh on the trip record, or 600+ with inefficiency, which at my rate of $0.14 is about $85.
For a car with 25mpg, that would be about $250 of gas.

We used to drive two cars to work, but now we car pool with the Tesla, and double our savings.

Really hard to pin down. Couple things happened at once - got Tesla, solar panels.
Where our electric was about $700 a year (live in place where no heat or air conditioning needed), and our Gasoline was $5000 per year.
We now pay $1200 per year for Electric - $0 for Gasoline. Add about $800 per year for the solar system.

This is with a combination of some free SC stops as well as an occasional overnight with friends who feel better about having us plug in at a 3 mile per hour charge.

So, as I said - can't really give a good number. But 38,000 miles in 16 months.

I suspect anyone will be pleasantly impressed.

DailyElectricUsage.jpg
This is a graph generated from our utility bill data that shows our monthly electricity usage prior to the Tesla (red), with the Tesla (green) and with the Tesla and a 6kV solar system (yellow).
To date we have put around 35k miles on the Tesla in 19 mos of ownership. As you can see, our electricity consumption went up about 10 kWh per day most months (less in summer due to not driving kids to school).

Before we got our Model S our electric bill averaged $85/month (we do not have AC and our heating is natural gas). We charge at night during off peak hours using an HPWC. Since last January our bill now averages $150/month. So far we have put almost 16K miles on the car.

So we are spending about $65/month to charge our car, and are saving hundreds of dollar a month that we used to spend on gasoline.

Our monthly electric bill is still so low that from a strictly economic point of view a solar PV system won't save us any money. But I still plan to do it someday.