Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volunteer of the Year: Sarasota Dolphin Research Program’s Nigel Mould

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Volunteer of the Year: Sarasota Dolphin Research Program’s Nigel Mould

VOY_NigelMould.jpg

By: Hannah Wallace

Our Volunteer of the Year helps keep local environmental organizations afloat.

When he decided to volunteer for Sarasota Dolphin Research Program, Nigel Mould jumped in with both feet—literally. Since 2010, Mould has spent upwards of 300 hours a year in soaking-wet volunteerism—swimming next to 400-pound distressed dolphins, hauling and mending research nets and doing whatever else is needed to help the natural environment.

Mould grew up swimming and boating in England, where, he says, “You can never be very far from the ocean.” When he retired from his career as CEO of an international cosmetics company and moved his family to Sarasota, he quickly realized that his experience on the water could be an asset for SDRP, the world’s longest-running wild dolphin research program. Mould also contributes hundreds of hours to Mote Marine Laboratory, Catholic Charities and other local nonprofits.

Sounding very much like a former CEO, Mould can speak expertly about the economic benefits of Sarasota Bay, the far-reaching importance of long-term research programs, and the convenience of committing to solar power and electric cars. But his connection to the cause comes from his heart as well as his head.

He recently learned that a dolphin calf he’d helped rescue last winter was spotted alive and well. “It’s the best feeling,” he says of the news. “The reward may not be immediate. You help a dolphin, it doesn’t turn around and say, ‘Thank you.’ Still, when you hear he’s healthy, you say to yourself, ‘That cold, wet, miserable day in the water—that was worth it.’”

Photography by Mark Farmwald

- - - Updated - - -

Nigel Mould Declared Sarasota Magazine’s Volunteer of the Year

September 17, 2014 Hayley Rutger

Nigel Mould was recently declared Volunteer of the Year in Sarasota Magazine's annual Guide to Giving for his dedication to the Sarasota Dolphin Research Program (SDRP) and Mote Marine Laboratory.

Mould volunteers about 300 hours per year with SDRP, a collaboration between Mote and Chicago Zoological Society that is the world’s longest-running study of a wild dolphin population. He volunteers another 500 hours each year with Mote, an internationally recognized, nonprofit marine science and education institution.

With SDRP, Mould helps with dolphin rescues, health-related research and population monitoring, along with prey-fish surveys. At Mote, Mould has volunteered in animal care, guided visitors in Mote Aquarium, provided outreach through Mote's Speakers Bureau and helped with special exhibits.

Mould served as Mote's Volunteer Board President from 2010 to 2012, and he is now a Mote Trustee and Chair of Mote's Development Committee.

Mould is also a supporter of sustainable technology and practices, including electric vehicles and solar energy. He is co-leading the Sept. 20 event Electrify the Island at Mote.

(Photo credit: Mark Farmwald)

You're a class act, Nigel. Don't beat him with a battery pack.

Congratulations Nigel. I have 'cyber met' some amazingly talented people on this forum, of which you are certainly one. If you do beat him with a battery pack, make sure it is one of the older 'A' packs!

BUT...again, Congratulations...well done.

Larry, I don't know whether to be flattered you outed me or beat you over the head with a battery pack! I'm mildly embarrassed but thank you for the thought. :)

Yes, I knew you'd be embarrassed, but I figured why should just the readers of Sarasota Magazine be the only people to learn about a true role model. :smile:

Thank you for what you do!

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

You're a class act, Nigel. Don't beat him with a battery pack.

Hi Bonnie,

Not to worry...I'm sure the battery pack is under warranty now that Elon has extended it to virtually any situation! :biggrin:

Larry