Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Audio Books Dropping Out / Pausing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
For long drives (and when I just REALLY need to finish a story), I play audiobooks in my car. I use the Audible app, and play via Bluetooth from an iPhone as usual.

What I've noticed is that for some audiobooks, the Model S randomly pauses/plays the audiobook (or drops the stream). The result is that you end up with odd gaps in the narration that can be jarring. What's worse is that is often happens when there's a natural lull or pause in narration, so you don't know if you missed something or if there was just a sudden shift in the scene.

I confirmed it's not the book by first deleting and re-downloading it, and playing the parts of the book that exhibit this behavior (it repeats in the SAME spots!) via the iPhone direct, and no issue. Put in headphones, no issue. I even used Airplay in my home, and no issue, but the Model S seems to have some sort of issue keeping the stream going.

I've wondered if this was an issue with the bluetooth antenna in the S, as I can SOMETIMES get that specific part not to skip if I disconnect (route audio through the phone) and reconnect, and hold the phone almost directly in front of the screen. Even then, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not it works. Is there something with the S where it can't sustain whatever bitrate spoken word is being delivered? Is the software doing something with the volume? I'm stumped.

FTR, this seems to happen every 5 books or so. The current one is "The Secret Place" by Tana French. Anyone else experience similar?

I think the behavior I experience may be different. I get Bluetooth pausing and stuttering occasionally, but it lasts for a given Bluetooth session and not for a given book. If I redo the Bluetooth session it usually stops - redo usually means disconnect and reconnect the session. Thus, I've never seen it stay associated with a specific audio book ( I use overdrive on android). So I had chalked it up to Bluetooth interop or interference issues rather than Tesla specificslly especially since this occasionally happens between my phone and my Bluetooth headset and they are both built by same company.

I listen to audio streams (mainly books; sometimes podcasts) via bluetooth every weekday to and from work and not observed a book not be able to play at all after reconnecting the session.

So, could be Tesla Bluetooth needs more interop testing with certain devices.

Could this be related to earlier interference in the cabin threads and certain bluetooth devices more susceptible?

I use Audible all the time and am, in fact, currently reading the same book. :smile: I think it must be related to the iPhone connection because I have noticed it on other books, but not much on this one. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone figured out how to quickly disconnect one bluetooth device and connect another. I use my iPod via bluetooth to listen to books and need to quickly connect my iPhone if a call comes in.

I had the same problem. Never noticed it on 5.9, was really bad on 5.12 on some audible books. Haven't had a chance yet to try it on 6.0. Something was (is?) wrong there for sure.

Hmm, it used to happen, then stopped. I figured it was the book, but perhaps it was the SW update. Just got 5.12 last week and here we go again.

I also had a similar problem. But to me it seemed to be the connection with the phone. I get a stop start in the streaming but no jumping within the book. It seems to be related to where my iPhone is in the car. If it is in my left pocket I have problems. I have a new iphone5s (had a buggy one and they just replaced the whole thing). don't want a bigger phone!

A week with 6.0 and the dropouts seem to have stopped. But I also got my iPhone 6/iOS8 around the same time so could be all on the Apple side or some combinations. Either way with Tesla 6/iPhone 6/iOS8 things seem happy.

I'm still on an iPhone 5S (iOS 7 as well) and no dropouts here either, but I'm also done with that particular book so not exactly scientific.