Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk vs. Bezos: SpaceX challenges Blue Origin’s rocket-landing patent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk vs. Bezos: SpaceX challenges Blue Origins rocket-landing patent - GeekWire

Elon Musk’s SpaceX is petitioning the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office to overturn a patent awarded to Blue Origin, the space venture backed by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos — arguing that Blue Origin’s approach for landing a booster rocket at sea is actually nothing new in the field of launching and recovering rockets.

blueorigin-620x342.png

Yikes! I hope this doesn't put a damper on SpaceX's ability to do water platform landings in the up coming test flights. How can you patent landing on a floating platform? Man, this is as bad as Apple patenting a shape...

Musk vs. Bezos: SpaceX challenges Blue Origins rocket-landing patent - GeekWire

View attachment 59324

Yikes! I hope this doesn't put a damper on SpaceX's ability to do water platform landings in the up coming test flights. How can you patent landing on a floating platform? Man, this is as bad as Apple patenting a shape...

Couldn't agree more. Patenting this idea is utter BS. Its not much different than patenting the use of multi-stage rockets to get into space, or using a high altitude flying platform as the initial launch vehicle. Maybe Space X should counter with a patent on vertical landing.......

I recall that the patent for communication satellites failed because Arthur C. Clarke described them in detail in one of his novels years earlier. Given the enormous number of 1950's/60's bad sci-fi movies that showed rockets landing on their tail, is there anything novel here?

I recall that the patent for communication satellites failed because Arthur C. Clarke described them in detail in one of his novels years earlier. Given the enormous number of 1950's/60's bad sci-fi movies that showed rockets landing on their tail, is there anything novel here?

Right, which is why I think the only thing "novel" is the specific patent covering landing on a floating platform in the water. This doesn't block landing on your tail, just if you happen to be landing on a floating platform on your tail.

But I agree that isn't much of a stretch, and there is a ton of art surrounding this idea that it is a ridiculous patent.

I'm wondering what the ramifications are if SpaceX just goes ahead and does it. Is it just a fine, or something more serious like jail time? Sitfling innovation through silly patents should be illegal. Make me think of the whole Ford Model E trademark fiasco.

I wonder if SpaceX could creatively use social media to garner public support saying "We know you've been waiting 50 years to see this really cool rocket landing, but Jeff Bezos won't let us."