Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Charge Port Access with Extra Fob Antenna Fixed the Tesla Two-Step

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Improved Charge Port Access with Extra Fob Antenna
How to reduce the frequency of the Tesla Two-Step.

Telsatap.com has posted instructions for how to add another fob antenna to the MS.
The result is improved response to awaken the car in order to unlock and detach the UMC.
Look for the link "Improved Charge Port Access with Extra Fob Antenna"

Telsatap.com has an assortment of other useful mods posted too.

As Teslatap has already mentioned in this editorial notes, I have ordered twisted pair to rewire mine and run it though the door sills, vice headliner. Will update the mod on Teslatap with this is done.

Last edited:
Guess you weren't really interested ;)

I think it's just good form to link to the content in question.

If there was a new article about TM, and someone said"Go to Yahoo and search for ____", many people are going to ignore, or give up if the result isn't found fairly quickly. For good reason too. This is the internet. Direct linking exists, use it.

If you wanted to bring attention to the rest of the mods, then a simple "And there's more great mods listed *here*" would have done the trick just as well.

I think it's just good form to link to the content in question.

If there was a new article about TM, and someone said"Go to Yahoo and search for ____", many people are going to ignore, or give up if the result isn't found fairly quickly. For good reason too. This is the internet. Direct linking exists, use it.

If you wanted to bring attention to the rest of the mods, then a simple "And there's more great mods listed *here*" would have done the trick just as well.

You do yours your way and ...

And no need to, since you already did it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just be easier to park the car so you walk past the driver or passenger door on your way to the charge port to unplug?

I back in for this reason. I don't have an attached garage. In an attached garage I would most likely nose in so I had to pass the doors with the fob in pocket so it unlocks and then I can remove the UMC.

Giz, I didn't want to put a direct link, cause I was hoping that if people went to his mods page they would see other mods that they didn't know about. Just my effort to increase traffic to his site so others knew about the other stuff. No harm done though.

TeslaTap is a pretty commonly-linked site, and there's a giant modifications header button on the top of the screen. Best to just link to the actual modification in question, IMO. Basically, this:

Wouldn't it just be easier to park the car so you walk past the driver or passenger door on your way to the charge port to unplug?

I back in for this reason. I don't have an attached garage. In an attached garage I would most likely nose in so I had to pass the doors with the fob in pocket so it unlocks and then I can remove the UMC.

Sometimes you can't choose how the car is parked. Wiring run limitations or parking restrictions could limit you to one direction or another. Plus, it would be kind of nice if you approached the car from the back in a parking lot it would unlock before you're standing by the door. I can see why someone would want to do this.

It would be a huge pain to back into my garage every night. Would it be easier to do that over this? I dunno, but if this works, it's a one-shot deal whereas parking backwards is "forever".

Improved Charge Port Access with Extra Fob Antenna
How to reduce the frequency of the Tesla Two-Step.

Telsatap.com has posted instructions for how to add another fob antenna to the MS.
The result is improved response to awaken the car in order to unlock and detach the UMC.
Look for the link "Improved Charge Port Access with Extra Fob Antenna"

Telsatap.com has an assortment of other useful mods posted too.

Great idea! Two antennas just ordered. Thanks for providing the via TeslaTap.

Do you really have to buy another antenna or can you just peel your existing one off that black panel? I haven't looked at mine yet.

-m

Yes, you can remove your existing antenna. Go ahead and tell us if that works as well. I don't know. There's also another antenna on the right hand side. Maybe you would want to move that one. They remove with one screw and loosening the other screw.

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea! Two antennas just ordered. Thanks for providing the via TeslaTap.

artsci. Got my front cam installed and working. Works great. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

To avoid the Tesla Two Step I do the Tesla Two Click (of the fob key) to unlock the car when approaching from the rear.

Yes, that's the easiest. Absolutely agree with you. But some of us are too lazy and look for an excuse to mod our cars.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can't choose how the car is parked. Wiring run limitations or parking restrictions could limit you to one direction or another. Plus, it would be kind of nice if you approached the car from the back in a parking lot it would unlock before you're standing by the door. I can see why someone would want to do this.

Agree, saying "you are parking it wrong" is kind of like saying "you are holding your phone wrong".
It's a design quirk that has an easy solution that got de-prioritized from a risky ship schedule. Tesla did the right thing and modders are doing what they do.

I'm looking fwd to the model X incorporating a lot of little design wins addressing things like these, and bringing in a basket full of little new next-gen design annoyances.